Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone with an XTZ1000 may want to check their radiator caps. According to my dealer due to the radiator cap blowing at 4psi it let the coolant out and then the engine over heated quickly, this then blew the rear cylinder head gasket and cracked the head and pulled the threads out of the block (over $1850 in reapirs, luckily I have extended warranty so it was only $50 for me, plus 4 weeks without machine and two 250+ mile round trips to the dealer). The notes on the repair order said "that it blew the same place as all the others". They replaced the radiator cap with one that handles more pressure (13psi +). Just thought others may want to know.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The XTZ comes with a 13lb radiator cap. At least all the ones the came through here did. I wonder if somehow, some got mixed up at the factory and ended up with incorrect caps. Or perhaps they had bad radiator caps that failed.
Glad that warranty took care of you on that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do the caps specify the lb rating?

Any thoughts on running engine ice, or redline water wetter in these machines?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do the caps specify the lb rating?

Any thoughts on running engine ice, or redline water wetter in these machines?
The caps should have printed on them the pressure relief rating.
Additives might be worth a look...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did you use the "prep fluid" for the Evans npg?

Or did you simply drain and refill.
I followed the instructions and used the prep and made sure before the prep that the system was really cleaned out by blowing compressed air through it and gaot a lot of old anti freeze out before the prep fluid and blew out as much of the prep fluid with air that would come out. Rotax has issued a tsb for there airplane engines to use the stuff too. and it does work awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts