Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Joe and I am a fire investigator. I am currently investigating Damyankee's fire loss. Reference post from 08-23-09. I have a few unanswered questions about the parking brake on these machines.

First, I have been unable to examine an exemplar/undamaged machine. I have called every dealer within a 500 mile radius with no luck. I am currently looking for someone that has a 2009 XTZ anywhere near Indiana. All evidence at this point in my investigation indicates that the fire originated in the area of the parking brake. I have come to no conclusions at this point and am just gathering information.

Does anyone have a photo of the rear end of one of these units. I am particularly interested in the area between the engine and rear diff.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My fire

i want to think everyone again for all of the support I got after my XTZ fire. Joe is the Fire Investigator that my insurance has investigating my fire (thanks to the insurance I recovered everything) If any one could assist him we may be able to get to the root cause of this before someone else has the same thing happen with the potential for a much worse out come (I normally drive it into the garage shut the door and go in the house)

Thanks in advance
Rob King

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I checked 3 XTZ's I have on my lot today, one light came on at 2 clicks, but no resistance on the brake cable ( I also was able to move the brake pads while the lever was at 2 clicks.
The other 2 XTZs light's came on at 1 click. Still no resistance on the pads at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Darryl89! I guess I know where all the XTZ's are....they must be in New Mexico. There is an apparent shortage in the Midwest...All sold out from what I am told.

How many clicks before you were able to get good resistance on the pads?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I checked two of the units I have on the floor here and one light came on at 2 clicks and the other came on at three. There was no resistance on either one of these units at all until 5 clicks. I was able to freely move the brake pads at 4 clicks.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I may have some pictures of the area you are looking at. I took some during my build process. i will check this weekend.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
That was a xtz we saw at the sand show.They are coming off of the top a arm mounts and they also tie in to the stock upper shock mounts.Looks like to me they are getting a lot stronger upper mount and equaling out the load between the upper mount and the top frame.Also equaling out the load to use the upper a arm mount and the top of the frame.They probably wanted to stand the shock up straighter for a lighter spring rate too.The lighter spring rate will help out a bunch with the bucking.The front had a very nice looking upper shock mount too.If you look close you can see that the shock is stood up quite a bit.
Chris
tell us about the shock set up in the photos

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
info

I had a proplem today that got to me to this web site. My Prowler as it got hot for some reason the brake leaver started to go up to or three clicks. I don't know the reason but the brake e brake was getting ready to catch fire. The plastic is melted and locked up on the ride home. Interested let me know. It happen today and after reading the comments it might help in this matter.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Hello! My name is Joe and I am a fire investigator. I am currently investigating Damyankee's fire loss. Reference post from 08-23-09. I have a few unanswered questions about the parking brake on these machines.

First, I have been unable to examine an exemplar/undamaged machine. I have called every dealer within a 500 mile radius with no luck. I am currently looking for someone that has a 2009 XTZ anywhere near Indiana. All evidence at this point in my investigation indicates that the fire originated in the area of the parking brake. I have come to no conclusions at this point and am just gathering information.

Does anyone have a photo of the rear end of one of these units. I am particularly interested in the area between the engine and rear diff.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here are a few photos of my 2009 XTZ's parking brake (click on the link at the bottom of this post). I have only driven it about 200 feet since new. When I read this thread, I checked the setting. As delivered to me by my dealer, my parking brake was set to fully engage at 3 clicks. I backed off the adjuster and it now is fully engaged at 7 clicks. I am waiting for a vendor to offer an audible warning device to replace or supplement the small dash warning light, as I know from past experience that I tend to miss the warning lights, but not the (annoying) chimes/bells/buzzers, etc. (UTV CRAP has one in the works and should be available soon)

To get better photos of the disc / caliper area, I will need to move it outside and remove the right rear wheel. Let me know if you need this done.

XTZ parking brake pictures by 350v8s10 - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have not forgotten to take the additional photos you requested. I have limited time and must work outdoors, in an uncovered driveway. It has been raining so often that I can't get to this yet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts