Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shortly before when we got home from the trip, right front drive shaft popped out of the drive gear :eek:
is it broken? or is it possible that it's just popped out????
which handed threads co.drivers side drive shaft screw?so is it tighter anticlockwise,and looser clockwise?
Glossary of terms need to use the translation:D
i will send a photo soon...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've read of issues with some Prowler axles just popping out. I guess they went to different axles (white cup) to help prevent this. As far as the threads, they are just standard. Righty tighty lefty loosy.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Bad photo i think...
tusu,I believe there is a c-clip on the end of axle that just pops into place in the diff,you might tear it down and inspect your c-clip and maybe get a new clip,Iam not sure if there is a updated c-clip or not.someone else will chime in and give there thoughts.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
yep prowler went to holiday :( hope not for long:rolleyes:
Tusu,I just looked it up.253.99 US dollars.there is a updated part number 1502-939.you might find cheaper elsewhere,looks like you have to buy complete half shaft.I would like to know what wore the groove off of it.right and left axles have different part numbers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that c-clip and the groove.
It was worn so smooth that i couldnt see it first.
Now i turning it to my hand and saw little hole in it,
then i saw the clip and dug it off.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
Thanks for the picture! That is the first time I've seen the spline, and snap ring grove up close! Do the Prowler axles have a taper? The reason I ask is because the snap ring grove does not appear to be worn. The axle looks very rough and shows signs of wear.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
I did find another picture of the axle, it answered my question! The axle is not tapered!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think you're right about the taper.. Tusu, looks like you may have to replace that axle... looks like you've got some bad wear on the splines.. they're not supposed to be tapered like that..

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I found that c-clip and the groove.
It was worn so smooth that i couldnt see it first.
Now i turning it to my hand and saw little hole in it,
then i saw the clip and dug it off.
tusa,make sure you change your diff fluid and seal when you put it back together.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
Tusa, I think what we are seeing is the after effects of the snap riing allowing the axle to shift out. All of the damage is at the end of the splines. At first I was trying to understand what kind of failure in the carrier could have caused this, but I feel your front end just needs to be drained, and the fluid inspected. Also look at the internal splines for debris. Sorry I didn't put this in one reply!, I'm still waking up!.............RD

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
IF you happen to pull out your front differential, I highly recommend getting your front differential pin completely welded. It was highly recommended to me by an experienced dealer. He said they just have a cheap tac weld, and if that tac breaks your front end will grenade. I've included a picture of the pin I'm talking about. I had mine completely welded on both sides of the pin.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts