Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one considered or made a diesel engine swap into a prowler yet?
I have an 06' 650 w/ a carburetor just bought it w/ 600 miles on it and the transmission has a broken gear and subsequently cracked the case half needing replacement/tear down. I see that arctic cat had a 700 diesel model 4x4 and it runs a separate transmission from the Lombardini/Kohler LDW 702 DIESEL. I was considering this as an option to the rebuild I have at hand. Any thoughts as it is already being sold in the arctic cat line and I'd love a diesel swap. Looking for input and suggestions thanks. Costs pros/cons etc.
Thanks. planedoctor

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I know AC has a 700 diesel quad so dont think it would be too bad I think its a great idea just the improvement in torque alone.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Has any one considered or made a diesel engine swap into a prowler yet?
I have an 06' 650 w/ a carburetor just bought it w/ 600 miles on it and the transmission has a broken gear and subsequently cracked the case half needing replacement/tear down. I see that arctic cat had a 700 diesel model 4x4 and it runs a separate transmission from the Lombardini/Kohler LDW 702 DIESEL. I was considering this as an option to the rebuild I have at hand. Any thoughts as it is already being sold in the arctic cat line and I'd love a diesel swap. Looking for input and suggestions thanks. Costs pros/cons etc.
Thanks. planedoctor
I would say your bevel gears busted,never heard of anybody doing a diesel change over,would be interesting to see you do it,a new 650 motor will cost you 2600 to 3000 dollars,you are probably not gonna get much speed from the diesel,and you will not have any speed going up hill,I have read and watched them in action on youtube there great around the farm and the reason is ,if the rest of your equipment uses diesel fuel,I watched a 500 foreman and a 700 A/C diesel playing tug of war the 700 A/C barely out pulled it.and if you decide to rebuild the 650 you will need both matching case half's I believe.just my thoughts.Welcome to the forum,great site,great members,and great info.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know anything about the diesel motor swap, but I do know a thing or two about broken bevel gears and a cracked case.....:D You can rebuild your motor yourself easily and affordable. The cases are "supposed" to be a matched set, but mixed and match may work if you had too. You should be able to find a used set of cases for okay price, compared to $1000 that it would cost you for new cases. Find a set of used cases, and purchase the new style bevel gears and engine gasket kits for around $350 (that doesn't include your cases price) and you will be all set....

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
If you decide to rebuild I have an '07 650 engine I'm going to tear down and part out.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
IMHO .. IF it's just a farm / utility rig and not for getting out on the trails much then great go for it ... BUT if it's to be used for a trail rig it would be the wrong choice .. again one mans opinion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies as I am still researching the Lombardini/Kohler Diesel engine LDW702 and the transmission that this engine mates to as is the configuration in the 08 and on 700 4x4 ac atv installations. I am not sure the direction of rotation of the diesel and if that would pose a problem. As for the failure of the 650 in my prowler it was the bevel gears that failed and the aluminum case half paid the dearest price ( and highest replacement costs) Still looking at all options. Thanks for the help. PALANEDOCTOR

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
thanks for the replies as I am still researching the Lombardini/Kohler Diesel engine LDW702 and the transmission that this engine mates to as is the configuration in the 08 and on 700 4x4 ac atv installations. I am not sure the direction of rotation of the diesel and if that would pose a problem. As for the failure of the 650 in my prowler it was the bevel gears that failed and the aluminum case half paid the dearest price ( and highest replacement costs) Still looking at all options. Thanks for the help. PALANEDOCTOR
I would compare the diesel change over cost VS the cost of a rebuild,or new engine.What do you use your prowler for,work or play.or maybe you just want the diesel,keep us posted.:)interesting subject.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For my interest a TDI Prowler would be the only type that I would buy. Im just a trail rider and don't go racing around an braking the machine. Todays gas seems to be getting worse all of the time. Now the diesel is being produced from LNG (liquified
natural gas) which is cleaner and cheep. By adding a turbo greatly adds to the efficient output of the engine.
I don't know if any of the 700cc quad owners have added a turbo to their ride but
that would be as hard to do as a diesel conversion would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts