Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

diff axel seals

14K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  tangoalphawhiskey 
#1 ·
lots of prowler seams to be suffering from leaking diff seals(like 3 out of 5 in our gang)
my question to the guys who delt with this issue

do you use ac factory seals or aftermarket seals :confused:

#7 ·
to tell you the truth out of 5 prowler with less than 300 miles that me and my buddies own we have 3 that have leaking seals

i thought that this was a common issue

i guess that if there is not enough oil it will heat the seal so that is why it leaks

#8 ·
I have had the best luck running mine 1 inch down from the bottom of the filler hole. I filled mine up to the bottom of the filler hole once after the first diff service I did. The seals leaked and the belows leaked. Ever since then 1 inch below for me. Pretty sure that is what the manual calls for too. These diffs run pretty warm so I am guessing they need the extra room for expansion of the fluid. I also put a real breather on mine front and rear just cause of the higher speeds mine usually sees when it is running. I will try to post some pics of the breather setup. If you do some searches there are already some topics on this stuff.

#11 ·
was just reading older post about it since you are an older member and the the cat is at the dealer, do you know if the did something on the newer models (2010) to fix the venting?

when it will be back from the shop i will check the level of fluid into both diffs and will call my buddies to let them know about that

#12 ·
To my knowledge they did not change the venting in 2010. Ask your dealer how full the rear diff should be. Here is something to think about. I am assuming the front diff is fine and the seals are not leaking? If so the point I wanted to make is that the rear diff does all of the work in 2wd. But the front diff has the same seals,fluid, bellows etc. But it is the rear one that is leaking right? What I believe is that the warm fluid expansion is so great that it makes pressure that the bellows just can't relieve. So the weakest link next is the seal. Another theory is that the rear diff gets warm and the fluid thins out somewhat. Then from the pressure it goes right past the seals.
The front diff does not have load on it in 2wd so it does not run as warm.

#14 ·
To my knowledge they did not change the venting in 2010. Ask your dealer how full the rear diff should be. Here is something to think about. I am assuming the front diff is fine and the seals are not leaking? If so the point I wanted to make is that the rear diff does all of the work in 2wd. But the front diff has the same seals,fluid, bellows etc. But it is the rear one that is leaking right? What I believe is that the warm fluid expansion is so great that it makes pressure that the bellows just can't relieve. So the weakest link next is the seal. Another theory is that the rear diff gets warm and the fluid thins out somewhat. Then from the pressure it goes right past the seals.
The front diff does not have load on it in 2wd so it does not run as warm.
it is the front driver side twice and rarely drove it in 4x4,
they changed it 2 weeks ago got it back from the dealer drove it about 10 miles noticed the axle had popped out reclipped it myself and the seal still leaks

#13 ·
this is my solution to this problem, 2 glass gas filters 2 air filters and some hose , you have to relocate the front diff breather and don't use the original bellow you can trow that one to the garbage, the rear diff breather is height enough so on this one just take off the bellow and replace whit the gas and air filter combo , this was my solution to this problem and i don't have any leaking. the glass filter act like a reserve tank for the oil, and believe me the oil make his way to this filter, and the air filter act as a breather so you are not going to have any oil pressure and you are not going to have any leaking also ...

Attachments

#15 ·
this is my solution to this problem, 2 glass gas filters 2 air filters and some hose , you have to relocate the front diff breather and don't use the original bellow you can trow that one to the garbage, the rear diff breather is height enough so on this one just take off the bellow and replace whit the gas and air filter combo , this was my solution to this problem and i don't have any leaking. the glass filter act like a reserve tank for the oil, and believe me the oil make his way to this filter, and the air filter act as a breather so you are not going to have any oil pressure and you are not going to have any leaking also ...
where do you get these filter or what were they designed for

#16 ·
we only run 9 oz. in the diff's. i think the book calls for 12 or so, but at 12 it will expand and blow the seals, when my 650 was 1 week old it split the bellows from the pressure. drained it out, put 9 oz. in and never had an issue. sold it with 1000 miles on it. i would also look for a groove cut into the axle cup. and while your there kock the dust sheild off, they seem to hold sand and mud against the seal.

#24 ·
I have a 2006 AC 4Wheeler with the same style axle and seal set up as on my 2010
XTZ. So far I had to replace both front axle seals at different times on the 4Wheeler and the Prowler showed signs of seepage on 1 front and 1 rear when it was just a couple months old. AC replaced those under warranty. The last time the 4Wheeler seal went out I was on a trip in Cloudcroft New Mexico. Luckily the seal went out the afternoon I was leaving to come back home.

#26 ·
dealer called me the cat is ready with both oil seals changed on the front diff and telling me that the axle popped out after a serious hit on it causse his mechanic ""remembers"" clipping the axle properly
i pulled the cat out of the trailer two weeks ago just out of the dealer went to the mailbox and the axle was out ;
well they just met with customer from hell

anyways i will check the level of oil in the diff before riding it

#27 ·
I haven't yet (knock on wood) had any problems with my seals.. in my new bike.. should I maybe do this breather mod as a prevetative measure.. I sometimes run long and fast on some of the back roads and I know its gotta get hot...

#33 ·
You guys definitely are! :) and you're def an asset to this site brother!

#34 ·
i did mine whit only 50 miles on my prowler, now whit 600 and not a single drop of oil leak , and the glass filter is holding ok, just some cleaning and change the air filter because this one get dirty , ALMOSTXPROWLER i recommend this modification, now maybe you are going to spend some money but on the long run you are going to save more money and troubles

#36 ·
The glass filter will do fine until it gets broken from harmonics some day. Had that happen to me years ago. My first sand rail. It worked great until I turboed that engine. I can't explain why but for some reason at high rpm it would destroy the glass every run. As long as it was not wound out it was fine. Had a buddy follow me to watch it happen. The filter did not touch or rattle against anything. But as soon as it would get the harmonics of a high rpm it would break the glass. Your prowler will probably never have this problem but maybe it will. Hopefully not.
i did mine whit only 50 miles on my prowler, now whit 600 and not a single drop of oil leak , and the glass filter is holding ok, just some cleaning and change the air filter because this one get dirty , ALMOSTXPROWLER i recommend this modification, now maybe you are going to spend some money but on the long run you are going to save more money and troubles

#38 ·
Well with a double bellows you have more room for expansion. But at some point you are still gonna have pressure build up cause it can't vent. And that pressure is what causes the leak. Especially once the fluid is warm. But with two bellows there could be less pressure though. If you are worried about water and mud The double bellows might be the answer for some over the vent. Unless you can get the vents up high enough.
i have seen some pics on previous threads of the vents relocated higher with a double stock below or blater (whatever it is called)
does anyone knows if that work as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.