Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a set of doors for my 07 650H1 and i am looking for some ideas on what i should use for hinges. The doors are shaped the same as the factory opening ( V-shaped) and the door will open out and down from the rear, but i cant figure out what kind of hinge to use.
Soo, Anybody out there got any ideas?
I am drawing a complete blank!!:confused:
I will try and get some pics on here tomrrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...:D

·
Registered
656 Posts
I made doors for mine myself also. I used regular door hinges but just smaller with the offset of the hinge out. I just used a slide lock for my latch. What are you useing for your latch?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made doors for mine myself also. I used regular door hinges but just smaller with the offset of the hinge out. I just used a slide lock for my latch. What are you useing for your latch?
I am doing some small modifications to a couple of latches now (hoping they will work), They are latches from a Kohring Crane that i operate at work, We had a couple extras hidden up in the parts room , should work ok as long as all my measurements are good.:D
The latches are a flush mount so nothing should grab them while in the woods.
As soon as i get a chance i will post some pics for all to see..

Can you remove your doors or are they permanent??
Welded or bolted??

·
Registered
656 Posts
mine are bolted. i can slide the pin out of my hinge and take the doors off. somewhat like a jeep.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! they must be mounted to the outside of the door (bolts exposed ) or were you able to hide them?

·
Registered
682 Posts
dont know exactly what kind of latch you have but if its like the ones on epuipment when you are on the trails the car will flex and the doors come open. You need to make a latch that has a long throw.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just did regular door hinges for like a kitchen cabinet. Works well but I plan on making them a pin style like sandy4bama.

Little hard to see when they are painted black but you can see where I bolted them to the plate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont know exactly what kind of latch you have but if its like the ones on epuipment when you are on the trails the car will flex and the doors come open. You need to make a latch that has a long throw.
Well i might have to rethink this then. I didnt know this machine would flex that much, Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did regular door hinges for like a kitchen cabinet. Works well but I plan on making them a pin style like sandy4bama.

Little hard to see when they are painted black but you can see where I bolted them to the plate.

I see. you made a plate on the front, and extended the door back.
on mine i just bent a panel that would fit between the front part of the cage where it angeles back, and to the angle just in front of the arm rest, so the door will open a bit goofey but not to concerened with that part of it. Would it be better for me to extent the back as far as you did ??

that latch you have in there lookes just like the ones i was going to use, does it work good?? Does it rattle a lot?? And is that a plastic skin on there or aluminum?? I used galvanized for my panel and wondering if that was a mistake..:confused:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I see. you made a plate on the front, and extended the door back.
on mine i just bent a panel that would fit between the front part of the cage where it angeles back, and to the angle just in front of the arm rest, so the door will open a bit goofey but not to concerened with that part of it. Would it be better for me to extent the back as far as you did ??

that latch you have in there lookes just like the ones i was going to use, does it work good?? Does it rattle a lot?? And is that a plastic skin on there or aluminum?? I used galvanized for my panel and wondering if that was a mistake..:confused:
Extending it back is optional, it was just a personal preference. They work well but I think they would work better if they were horizontal. The reason I mounted them the way I did is the wife has fibremyalgia and can't pry very well and the angle being horizontal would have been near impossible for her. This way she just has to pull up on it and it seems to work well for her.

They rattle a little but not bad, some foam or rubber stripping would reduce quite a bit of it but it's really not needed.

I did have to add a chunk of pipe to the bottom of the door to catch the lip of the floor mounted this way though because the door wanted to bounce down and come unhooked now and again.. If the latch was horizontal it would just float up and down the latch without any problems.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Triple J that was a Lot of help, Sound like im on the rite track then. Thanks again I really appreciate it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts