Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. another question.. I was just reading over my manual and it says (only in the assembly section) that when putting the housing back over the bearing ring that I should have made marks on them to make sure it goes back together the same? Mine went back together but i definitely didnt' make any marks on the housing or bearing ring before I took it apart :( Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there a way to make sure it's back together properly? :confused:

·
Registered
491 Posts
i think we need you to elaborate a little on this . drive axle ? are you talking about the bearing ring for the CV balls ? if so the outer cv ring is bell shaped and it needs to be installed corectly for articulation .

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think we need you to elaborate a little on this . drive axle ? are you talking about the bearing ring for the CV balls ? if so the outer cv ring is bell shaped and it needs to be installed corectly for articulation .
yeah, sorry for being vague.. I believe its installed facing the correct direction but something in my manual said something about making marks to ensure proper assembly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
when assembling CVs on the axle shaft you need to make sure the cups that hold the ball bearings together are going the correct direction . like i said earlier i think it was the outer cup is bell shaped .

i think the marks you are refering to are the for "clocking" the CVs . just like in basic autoshop when repairing a drive shaft you want the ujoints or in this case the CV stars to be inline with each other . one end you have to press on then you can line the other end up with that on by setting it on the workbench and making sure thatthey are not a spline or more off . if so this will cause a binding issue and cause the CV to break the cage or pop out of the diff .

good luck let me know if you have any more questions . i hope this was descriptive enough to understand

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That does help, I think I may check mine.. i've had it out on a couple runs and it seems fine but I think it will be worth my time to tear it apart and give it a quick check. It does seem to make a bit of noise.

Much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts