Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front left drive shaft but now the cotter pin keeps snapping and the castle nut comes off, the wheel goes rolling down the road. The dealer here has no idea what is going on. Any idea's why this is happening? :mad::confused:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
1. Is it the right half shaft?

2. Do you have it fully seated into the differential?

·
Registered
282 Posts
if I recall torque spec on that is 200. at the very least needs to be put on with a impact. just did mine a while ago. Mine ended up being one thread past the cotter pin.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
if I recall torque spec on that is 200. at the very least needs to be put on with a impact. just did mine a while ago. Mine ended up being one thread past the cotter pin.
Did you have trouble with yours coming out of the differential.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Changed the front wheel bearing on mine, maybe I better recheck it to be safe.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did you have trouble with yours coming out of the differential.
The first time I did it a yr or so ago I had a hell of time getting one out but once I got the feel for what I was doing there is no problem now. The only problem I have now is making sure my rig stays on the jacks when im yanking. I think its harder getting the axel around the knuckle so you don't have to take the bottom ball joint out to remove the axel.

Once I get the snap ring back in I take a rubber mallet to the end of the axel to make sure it goes in all the way.

The reason I had the axels out was my seals blew out in the front this last spring trying to get into my cabin in 4 ft of snow. Was in diff lock for a few hrs and figured that's what did it.

Thought it was as a good reason to drain my diff fluid down which I typically do a few times a yr. Always good to pull that drain plug out and see how much metal (hopefully none) you got sitting on the magnet.

I have a 2006 500 wheeler that gets more work than the prowler so im usually working on it which is a smaller version of the prowler as far as the mechanical aspect. The wheeler has smaller axels and tighter quarters to work which make those axels a real pain to get out compared to the prowler.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
The first time I did it a yr or so ago I had a hell of time getting one out but once I got the feel for what I was doing there is no problem now. The only problem I have now is making sure my rig stays on the jacks when im yanking. I think its harder getting the axel around the knuckle so you don't have to take the bottom ball joint out to remove the axel.

Once I get the snap ring back in I take a rubber mallet to the end of the axel to make sure it goes in all the way.

The reason I had the axels out was my seals blew out in the front this last spring trying to get into my cabin in 4 ft of snow. Was in diff lock for a few hrs and figured that's what did it.

Thought it was as a good reason to drain my diff fluid down which I typically do a few times a yr. Always good to pull that drain plug out and see how much metal (hopefully none) you got sitting on the magnet.

I have a 2006 500 wheeler that gets more work than the prowler so im usually working on it which is a smaller version of the prowler as far as the mechanical aspect. The wheeler has smaller axels and tighter quarters to work which make those axels a real pain to get out compared to the prowler.
Yea they don't hold that much,do you run yours 1'' low.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its the right axel I picked the first one up from the dealer and had him double check it after it came off. will have to make sure it is at 200 pounds of torque. thank you for the help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no problem coming out of the diff. when I came out of the knuckle the bearings came out also so I replaced them also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the help. Think I will get it back together and sell it I have had nothing but problems with it since I got it a year ago.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thank you for all the help. Think I will get it back together and sell it I have had nothing but problems with it since I got it a year ago.
What all problems have you had with it,how do you ride it.2009 you got one of the problem years.......one member on here has over 5000 miles on his.he is the only one with a 2009 that i have heard of with know problems.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
That's too bad, hope you find something you can spend more time riding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use it mostly for feeding the horses in the winter. take it hunting and mild four wheeling. Diff seals front,burns a lot of oil, have had the motor rebuilt but still burns oil. It has XM radio. rear fog lights, winch all the rest is stock.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Use it mostly for feeding the horses in the winter. take it hunting and mild four wheeling. Diff seals front,burns a lot of oil, have had the motor rebuilt but still burns oil. It has XM radio. rear fog lights, winch all the rest is stock.
How many miles is on it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What all problems have you had with it,how do you ride it.2009 you got one of the problem years.......one member on here has over 5000 miles on his.he is the only one with a 2009 that i have heard of with know problems.
could that member be me??:( i have just over 7000 miles now and since ive pretty much bulletproofed everything myself instead of the dealer doing things or buying factory parts ive gone 2000 miles without incident. pretty much all my cv's are popping now but i kinda attribute that to the mileage, need to pull em apart and clean and grease em again. hang in there co2step, if you have any questions on youre 09 i can probably help ya out

1 - 20 of 32 Posts