Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Dual Battery Project - Seeking Advice

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
Alright, my next project is to add a dual-battery setup to run some accessories. I do have an electricians help on this project, because I'm not willing to electrocute myself, or burn through batteries, because I don't know what I'm doing.

But I thought I'd check with you guys who've added a second battery on what I'd need. My friend has all sorts of electrical experience, but not with the Prowler. Which is why I'm asking you all. So here's where I'm at...

There's two things I want to accomplish:
1. Install dual battery (Front storage area)
- a. After reading, it sounds like this is a good product to run the secondary isolated battery https://www.amazon.com/True-UTV-SBI-CK-Dual-Battery-Kit/dp/B00WRG2U58/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
- b. I'll probably use an Odessy AGM battery
2. Install remote battery posts.

Research/Forum Searching:
I'm reviewing as many dual battery threads on here as possible. (https://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/arctic-cat-prowler-electrical-discussions/3580-installed-dual-battery-kit.html#post37995) This thread is good with some pictures. But I wanted to hear if there was anything unique about the Prowler and hooking up a dual battery system that I'm not aware of. Any gotcha's that I can learn from someone who has already done the work?

Accessories I plan to run:
Right now, I have an Arctic Cat Warn 3000# winch running off my only battery. My plan is to switch this over to the isolated battery. And then I'd run (1) 180w led light bar and (2) 18w led light pods. Maybe down the road I'd look into a radio/bluetooth speaker. But for now, it would just be the winch and lighting.

Does anyone have any input? Am I too generic/vague so far with what I want to accomplish? What questions can I answer to help me, help myself?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a popular upgrade. The battery isolator is a good choice. I used a solenoid to connect my two batteries controlled with a on/off switch. The solenoid must be rated continuous duty (snowplow type).

#3 ·
Max....... I like the look of that kit you linked. I see that they also sell one that includes a dual voltage gauge and wiring for that. I have been looking at doing the dual battery thing since I got mine!!

#4 ·
So I'm curious about the remote battery terminals. They will have two purposes...

1. As terminals for jumper cables (in case the battery is dead) - Currently, very difficult due to location of the main battery.
2. Charging terminals for battery tender

In either case, I'm assuming I run these terminals off of the main battery. Regardless of the dual battery setup. Is that correct?

Since I'll be using that battery isolator kit, if I charge the main battery (using the remote terminals) it will charge both, right?

#5 ·
The remote terminals are easily accessible without tearing half the machine apart to jump it. Main battery only should be fine. Once you jump it to get it running the battery isolator will handle the second battery automatically. I've used mine many times around the house keeping my garden tractor running!

#6 ·
Alright, after quite some time (and saving) I've started the project. The remote battery terminals were easy enough. I have the battery isolator, but not the secondary battery yet. So I haven't hooked those up yet.

However, I did get an LED light bar as a gift. It came with a wiring harness and rocker switch. I installed the LED bar. When the Prowler is off, the light bar worked fine. Then I started the UTV, and then attempted to turn on the light bar... it must have overloaded the in-line fuse. Because it popped.

My first thought is that my connections that I created were not good enough. It's connecting two 12 gauge wires (one from the LED bar, and the other from the wiring harness connected to the battery) using a 12 gauge coupler.

Obviously, without seeing my work, it's difficult to provide feedback. But I'm curious if anyone has insight as to why I could run the light bar just fine while the Prowler was off; but when the Prowler was on, the circuit popped.

Thoughts?

#7 ·
Definitely an issue with a poorly performed connection. The buttsplice I used wasn't clamped completely. I reconnected the wires, and replaced the fuse. We're all good! Now to add the secondary battery and migrate the winch from the primary to the secondary.

I can see why working on these bikes is addicting.

#8 ·
I have as much enjoyment out of working on mine as I do riding! Nice thing (depending on how you look at things!) about owning a Prowler is the lack of aftermarket stuff is drying up forcing us Prowler folks to be creative!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.