Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a Dynatek coil kit for my XTZ 1000 . Can someone give me and opinion on this kit?. If someone has it will you recommend or not this kit? Thank you for the info..:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
well they gotta help somehow or they wouldnt try to sell them after market. I bet you get the most out of the coils when you use the new CDI box that goes with it. just guessing that the advanced timing of their CDI would require more spark. IMHO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right now I have a pair of muzzys and muzzys digi-tune and home made cool air box, everything else is stock , and I want more spark for my engine and maybe some HP.. 1 or 2 HP more that's what everybody wants ,

·
Registered
491 Posts
I want to buy a Dynatek coil kit for my XTZ 1000 . Can someone give me and opinion on this kit?. If someone has it will you recommend or not this kit? Thank you for the info..:D

i havnt looked into this kit much but,
ive talked to a couple of shops about upgrading coils on my cat too , all were in agreeance that the stock coils were as good as they get . the aftermaket are only at most 10k volts or so more than stock and for what they cost its not really worth the money to swap out unless you have to replace do to a failure .

one thig i did find out is there is a resistor in the spark plug boots on most XTZ . the rear is more resistance than the front causing a delayed and cooler spark to the plug . mine was one that didnt have different ones front to rear but i have heard of a few that have . use a ohm meter to measure resistance thru the boot after you remove it from the wire by unscrewing it . if the rear measures more than the front order a replacement on from your parts supplier . the only ones availible are the fronts ( lower resistance) so theres no confusion .

good luck

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i havnt looked into this kit much but,
ive talked to a couple of shops about upgrading coils on my cat too , all were in agreeance that the stock coils were as good as they get . the aftermaket are only at most 10k volts or so more than stock and for what they cost its not really worth the money to swap out unless you have to replace do to a failure .

one thig i did find out is there is a resistor in the spark plug boots on most XTZ . the rear is more resistance than the front causing a delayed and cooler spark to the plug . mine was one that didnt have different ones front to rear but i have heard of a few that have . use a ohm meter to measure resistance thru the boot after you remove it from the wire by unscrewing it . if the rear measures more than the front order a replacement on from your parts supplier . the only ones availible are the fronts ( lower resistance) so theres no confusion .

good luck
Dynatek told me that the stock coils arent meant to handle the xtra voltage for long.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont know about the coils but a HEMI head and cylinder like more spark to get a more eficiant combustion.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I dont know about the coils but a HEMI head and cylinder like more spark to get a more eficiant combustion.
What if I just go with the dynatek CDI box for my '10 XTX 700? would I need to change anything else? or could I just expect a bit better performance by adding this upgrade without changing the plug and coils?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You will probably see a little but you should change the plug anyway. Are you doing a exhaust? or clutch work? Those are usualy a better bang for the buck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ya, going to do some clutching... nothing too fancy just might try some ceramic weights and adjust up my driven tension... what should I use for a new plug? This is what the write up says about them.

"""These Dynatek Ignition Boxes feature improved timing curves, higher rev limit, removed reverse rev limit, overrides the belt indicator (for full performance at all times), increased spark energy, improved throttle response, easier starting and easy mounting""""

What's the belt indicator? I'd like the higher rev limit (mine hits the limiter at about 6500)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ya I would like the higher revs too. If you can use them. Check Airdams clutchwork. I would just use a new stock plug and gap it per specs. You may findout when you pull it its not gaped right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts