Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the easiest way to set/confirm Top Dead Center with the head on?

I'm reinstalling my head and set the piston to TDC manually before putting the head on, but want to confirm I'm still at TDC afterwards.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but when I adjusted my valves, I could see (thru the spark plug hole) the intake and exhaust valves open and close as I rotated the engine. TDC of the compression stroke, of course would be at the upstroke after intakes close and prior to exhausts opening with piston at top of rotation and Timing mark as described in the service manual. I know, not real clear. It's hard to put into words, but easy when you are doing it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Are you referring to the timing marks on the end of the camshaft? The two thin lines?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks. Are you referring to the timing marks on the end of the camshaft? The two thin lines?
Actually, I am referring to the timing mark on the (flywheel?) that is visible when you remove the black metal cover on the passenger side of the engine. This is also what gives you access to the bolt that you can use to turn the motor over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts