Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if i puy a small electric fuel pump between the gas tank and vacume fuel pump if it would pump fuel through the vacume fuel pump with the motor not being cranked over.:confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
...key on, pump on, I would think. Would electric fuel pump put undue fuel pressure on the carb and float?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just want to use the electric fuel pump as a prime,just leave on for a couple seconds or so,after a couple of days it will siphon all the gas out of float bowl through the pump back into the tankand have to do alot of cranking to get gas back to carb.I know the carb model prowlers are like that,Iam just trying to solve a problem, in 7 years time i have been through 3 batterys and i use a battery tender.I would hook electric fuel pump up on a toggle switch so i could shut off when system gets primed.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I guess the next question would be, with the pump off would it restrict fuel flow and starve out the Carb at high rpm ?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that was my next question.i was wondering with the electric fuel pump not running if gas would still go through it.i need to go to the parts store and see if i can blow through it.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
I would think it would. I'm not familiar with the vacuum fuel pump, but if it has a diaphram it should pass fuel through it. Only downside on this setup would be if the diaphram were to fail, you could pump fuel into the engine crankcase by the vacuum line. I filled my 460 ford engine this way! Not so good on bearings!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said i would only use electric fuel pump as a prime system only.i have a return line that goes back to my gas tank and when the system starts getting primed i can here the fuel through the return line into tank.the return line is required to use my pumper carb.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think it would. I'm not familiar with the vacuum fuel pump, but if it has a diaphram it should pass fuel through it. Only downside on this setup would be if the diaphram were to fail, you could pump fuel into the engine crankcase by the vacuum line. I filled my 460 ford engine this way! Not so good on bearings!
I see what your saying.the reason it takes so long to prime is because it has to pump from tank to vacume pump then to carb.theres got to be a fix for this besides a boat pump.I heard the carb rhinos are the same way.nobody in my area has a fuel filter with a check valve in it,not even our local speed shop or summit racing or jegs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I see what your saying.the reason it takes so long to prime is because it has to pump from tank to vacume pump then to carb.theres got to be a fix for this besides a boat pump.I heard the carb rhinos are the same way.nobody in my area has a fuel filter with a check valve in it,not even our local speed shop or summit racing or jegs.
is the carb suppose to hold fuel, does the carb lose vacuum after you shut it off?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I believe he already tried that (or was going to try that) Fat Cat...

de3... Here's what we used when I worked on outboards. I'm going to grab one and put on my Prowler. These come in different diameters. What we always did (and what I'm going to do now) is order the largest one. You can then "tune" is by reducing the size of the barb (get at lowes) on the OUT side. These things work great but remeber if you try one only downsize the OUT.

Groco CV Series Check Valves - InLine Check Valves by Discount Marine Supplies

Also can try one of these. The only thing I would worry about is sometimes on a non-pressurized fuel system and in-line filter can reduce flow-rate on the fule line.

One Way Flow Valve 3 8" in Line Fuel Filter with Check | eBay

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just want to use the electric fuel pump as a prime,just leave on for a couple seconds or so,after a couple of days it will siphon all the gas out of float bowl through the pump back into the tankand have to do alot of cranking to get gas back to carb.I know the carb model prowlers are like that,Iam just trying to solve a problem, in 7 years time i have been through 3 batterys and i use a battery tender.I would hook electric fuel pump up on a toggle switch so i could shut off when system gets primed.
...What kinda batteries you been usin' and just a note, the so called battery tenders will cook your battery if left plugged up all the time. I charge my toys about once a month in the cold season if I haven't been using them. So far I have had good luck. I usually do not use the batteries that Wal-Mart type stores sell except my tractor and lawn mower. Usually they do not last very long, couple years.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I believe he already tried that (or was going to try that) Fat Cat...

de3... Here's what we used when I worked on outboards. I'm going to grab one and put on my Prowler. These come in different diameters. What we always did (and what I'm going to do now) is order the largest one. You can then "tune" is by reducing the size of the barb (get at lowes) on the OUT side. These things work great but remeber if you try one only downsize the OUT.

Groco CV Series Check Valves - InLine Check Valves by Discount Marine Supplies

Also can try one of these. The only thing I would worry about is sometimes on a non-pressurized fuel system and in-line filter can reduce flow-rate on the fule line.

One Way Flow Valve 3 8" in Line Fuel Filter with Check | eBay
thats what i wanted to try, was a filter with a check valve,cant find any around here. THANKS

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is the carb suppose to hold fuel, does the carb lose vacuum after you shut it off?
yes the float bowl has fuel in it,but after 2or 3 days it will siphon back into the fuel tank.thats why the carb prowlers are so hard to start after they sit for a few days.if i start it everyday it will fire up as soon has i hit the key.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...What kinda batteries you been usin' and just a note, the so called battery tenders will cook your battery if left plugged up all the time. I charge my toys about once a month in the cold season if I haven't been using them. So far I have had good luck. I usually do not use the batteries that Wal-Mart type stores sell except my tractor and lawn mower. Usually they do not last very long, couple years.
the first two were factory batterys and the one i have now is a diehard semi gel battery,I thought the tender charges/maintaines the battery.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I believe the answer to your question is no. A fuel pump will not work, at least not to get all the way from your fuel tank into your carb. I'm no expert, but here is why. The fuel pump on the Prowlers is a vacuum "pulse" fuel pump. When I first purchased my broken Prowler, I recieved it already somewhat torn apart. The original owner had already pulled off the air box, carburetor, etc. on top of the motor and had all the lines disconnected. I got a hodge podge of parts and didn't know where everything hooked up too. So I had to figure it out a long the way. I ended up hooking the line that goes to the vacuum port on the fuel pump to the wrong location on the motor (I didn't see the port between the head and the carb). So the motor would not start because it wasn't getting the vacuum pulse from the motor. I thought maybe the fuel pump was bad and not sending fuel. So what I did was hooked up a manual hand pump to the vacuum port on the pump and started pumping thinking it would pump/suction fuel through the fuel pump to the carburetor. This did not work. What I found because it is a "pulse" pump was that when I pumped the lever on the hand pump, I had to push the pressure release lever on the hand pump each time in between pumping before it would actually pump fuel through (I guess this is the "pulse" part of it). So because of this it will not pump straight through. It is not a straight, uninterrupted path through the fuel pump (at least I think). So I think the vacuum pulse is required to open up the "doorway" if you will.

So without your motor turning over, the electric fuel pump will only pump fuel up to your vacuum fuel pump but not through it. However, if your motor is at least turning over, the electric fuel pump may speed up the fuel getting to your motor. Hope I didn't confuse anybody. Again I'm no expert. This is just what I experienced.

But then again I had my pump on the suction port of the fuel pump. I did not have my pump on the inlet or outlet port of the fuel pump. That would be the thing to test to see if it would pump straight through without needing a vacuum pulse to "open the doorway".

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FatCat,looks like that would work but i hate to cut my dog house to put a access door in it,thanks for your help.:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
the first two were factory batterys and the one i have now is a diehard semi gel battery,I thought the tender charges/maintaines the battery.
That's what I thought too til I fried a couple of expensive marine batteries with a battery tender that wasn't suppose to cook them dry. Couple of months tender on batteries, they went completely dry. I spend kinda big money on this charger/tender, charge each battery at different rates if needed then trickle to maintain. I believe that is what fried mine.
Sounds like the batteries your getting are good.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I thought too til I fried a couple of expensive marine batteries with a battery tender that wasn't suppose to cook them dry. Couple of months tender on batteries, they went completely dry. I spend kinda big money on this charger/tender, charge each battery at different rates if needed then trickle to maintain. I believe that is what fried mine.
Sounds like the batteries your getting are good.
I did have a tender that did boil the acid out of the battery and didnt even know it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
last spring when I got home to CdA from Reno/Sparks my battery was also dry ... used a tender all winter while I was down here

so I'll be checking 4 different rigs again when I get home , [4 tenders in use now] .... I didn't think it was a tender issue as I had my rig on it's side once , but maybe I have one tender malfunctioning [or more] ... using the Deltran brand tenders.

I added additional tenders this fall, to cover all my battery rigs left for the winter ... couple with very pricey Odyssey batteries now hope I didn't cause some major loss $$$$

1 - 20 of 35 Posts