Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the engine braking work, and is there some sort of clutch pack?Because I have a noise under acceleration nothing on coast and it seems like I no longer have the engine braking I once had...Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
How does the engine braking work, and is there some sort of clutch pack?Because I have a noise under acceleration nothing on coast and it seems like I no longer have the engine braking I once had...Thanks in advance..
The XTZ has a one way bearing that sits on the primary clutch shaft and I would assume that's your problem. It has a series of metal bearings/rollers that run around it and uses springs to retain them. Could be that the bearings are not being retained and causing your noise. I am not the clutch expert so give it some time here and someone that knows the system better can give you a more precise answer. Here are some pictures of my one way bearing from the XTZ 1000. Hope this helps.

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks it must be behind the cover, well its time to dig deeper. Thanks again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You have to pull the outer cover, primary, secondary, belt, then the inner cover (drain your oil first), then you will see your wet clutch with the one way bearing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This info is from an atv but same principal just maybe different rpm/speed lockup

The wet clutch accommodates the task of getting the machine from a dead stop up to the speed at which the wet clutch shoes lock up solid. From this point on the CVT takes over the job of gear ratio establishment. This 'wet' clutch in stock configuration slips, when in high range, up until a speed of somewhere around 17 KMH (@10 MPH) is reached, at which point according to the motor's RPM it locks up.
When in low range this centrifugal clutch locks solid at the same RPM, but of course at around half that ground speed, or at around 8 KMH (5 MPH). *

Now because the wet clutch uses slipping friction to drive during low speed, sub-lockup operation, not only is heat being generated and wear on the clutch shoes, but friction material from the clutch shoes is being discarded into the motor oil.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Some of the other UTV's don't use the wet clutch just dry primary and secondary. I still am not understanding the true advantage of the wet clutch and what provides the engine braking?
The engine braking is provided by the one way bearing. The wet clutch helps take some of the load or initial shock to the motor and trans. There is no advantage to a wet clutch in my opinion if you want performance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The engine braking is provided by the one way bearing. The wet clutch helps take some of the load or initial shock to the motor and trans. There is no advantage to a wet clutch in my opinion if you want performance.
there is no advantage for performance oriniented folks who can be up to speed all the time.the advantage to having a wet clutch would be for very slow moving veh.rock crawling is a perfect example.with the wet clutch it is taking the abuse of the eng turning 1000-1500rpm while the belt is moving 100 rpm.vehs without a wet clutch ie popo,kawis,can ams is the clutch is turning 1000-1500rpms constantly spining on a belt that is not moving,or moving very slow.the clutch is constantly grinding away or heating the belt to melting/exploding temps.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
there is no advantage for performance oriniented folks who can be up to speed all the time.the advantage to having a wet clutch would be for very slow moving veh.rock crawling is a perfect example.with the wet clutch it is taking the abuse of the eng turning 1000-1500rpm while the belt is moving 100 rpm.vehs without a wet clutch ie popo,kawis,can ams is the clutch is turning 1000-1500rpms constantly spining on a belt that is not moving,or moving very slow.the clutch is constantly grinding away or heating the belt to melting/exploding temps.
Very good explanation of the wet clutch. Thanks for posting this.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Great information. How does the one way bearing work with engine braking?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great information. How does the one way bearing work with engine braking?
Gonna take a wild stab at this one, but my guess is the bearing locks up when the output shaft is spinning faster than the input shaft so it overrides the wet clutch forcing the engine compression to slow the vehicle. How far off am I?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gonna take a wild stab at this one, but my guess is the bearing locks up when the output shaft is spinning faster than the input shaft so it overrides the wet clutch forcing the engine compression to slow the vehicle. How far off am I?
Spot on!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts