Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2011 Prowler HDX700 and it sounds like a slight rod knock. Is this normal?

I had a 2003 Troy Lee Edition Predator that sounded like it had a rod knock. Cam Sprocket slipped on the cam and Polaris rebuilt the engine. Still had the same rod knock sound as it had since new.

Just wondering if this is a big bore sound or a failure waiting to happen? :(

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
These things make a lot of noise! Does it do it cold, and warm? Can you feel any vibrations (sharp tapping) on the cylinder crankcase! If the valve clearance is too much, you will get some noise. Valves should be set cold at .004intake, and .006Exhaust. Does the knocking sound speed up with RPM? And Welcome to the site! Others will chime in as they see your post! We are friendly bunch!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, you hear it when it is idling, step in and touch the gas and the engine drowns the knock sound out even if you only give it a little gas.

Ran a little weird when I first brought it home so I changed the plug, then poured 2 oz of Seafoam in the case. Ran it a bit to warm it up and then changed the oil.

After the oil change it seemed to quiet down a hair. Also topped off the tank with 91 and dumped the rest of the can of Sea Foam in the tank.

Seems to be running better.

Throttle is touchy or sticky too so I'll have to work on smoothing that out also.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
More than likely normal sounds! The throttle can take some getting used to! There are two springs available on the throttle, one heavy, and one light. I have a heavy one on mine, and after 3 years it is still hard to get used to! I use AMESOIL in mine, full synthetic 20/50. Make sure any oil you use is wet clutch compatible. I change mine every 3-500 miles, but oil changes are up to the individual. Synthetics can go up to 1,000 miles between changes depending on use. Check your oil for any particles when you drain it, I check the drain plug, and also run a magnet in the drained oil. If you are really anal, you can cut the filter open!LOL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the Arctic Cat 0w-40 when I did the oil change and noticed the normal amount of "Sludge" on the drain bolt magnet. smelled funny but that could have been the sea Foam too. LOL

Just used it to haul a heavier item across the yard and will definitely keep listening to the engine. Hope to listen to another "known good" Prowler 700 engine so I can either relax, or prepare for a rebuild.

Unfortunately, everyone I know runs Polaris but some family members did join an ATV Club so I'll have them listen to mine, then see if there are any on their group rides.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Normal maintenance on these will pay for itself in the long run. One thing about the Prowlers is they all pretty much make noise! The only issues I've had with my 700 are ones that I caused! 6,500 miles plus, and the bottom end still looks like new!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
One thing about the Prowlers is they all pretty much make noise!

EEEH what noise , did you say NOISE ... hold on a minute got to turn this dag nabit thing off can't hear you

lining the dog house with sound deadner helps for heat and noise but they do make a ton of "music" to the ear.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You got that right!

·
Registered
293 Posts
More than likely normal sounds! The throttle can take some getting used to! There are two springs available on the throttle, one heavy, and one light. I have a heavy one on mine, and after 3 years it is still hard to get used to! I use AMESOIL in mine, full synthetic 20/50. Make sure any oil you use is wet clutch compatible. I change mine every 3-500 miles, but oil changes are up to the individual. Synthetics can go up to 1,000 miles between changes depending on use. Check your oil for any particles when you drain it, I check the drain plug, and also run a magnet in the drained oil. If you are really anal, you can cut the filter open!LOL

Hey Fairmont. Where can I find the options for the throttle springs? So far I have only been able to find a stock replacement which in my opinion is to stiff.

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I drove a friends 2009 650, I have a 2009 700, his throttle was a very light feel, so I looked up the 650 part number and it was different from mine so that was the number I ordered, AC Part # 0405-233. Compared to what I had it is much lighter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm.. I'll watch and see if the family has and issues with the current throttle and make that change if needed.

Thanks for supplying the part number too!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Finding firms that support Prowlers is getting harder too do! I use Speedwerx, Arctic Cat Store, Country Cat, Babbitts, Campbell Enterprises, Side X Side Inc, And lately my Shop! LOL Been looking at other brands and adapting their aftermarket parts to my Prowler when all else fails! Ebay still has a great selection of parts on their ATV/Prowler parts section!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
They list two different springs for the 09 Prowlers 650, and 700 use different springs. The 650 I drove had a light throttle feel compared to my 700. All later years use the same part numbers! I listed the 650 part number as the light spring.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Finding firms that support Prowlers is getting harder too do! I use Speedwerx, Arctic Cat Store, Country Cat, Babbitts, Campbell Enterprises, Side X Side Inc, And lately my Shop! LOL Been looking at other brands and adapting their aftermarket parts to my Prowler when all else fails! Ebay still has a great selection of parts on their ATV/Prowler parts section!
RD the cheapest parts I have found for A/C has been at MLS in kentucky,unbelievable prices,i just bought door graphics for my doors A/C prices was 100 dollars,MLS price was 56 dollars to the door,I could have bought my front and rear bumpers from them for 350 dollars amazon's price was almost 500 dollars.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'll add that to my list! Thanks DE3!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
RD the cheapest parts I have found for A/C has been at MLS in kentucky,unbelievable prices,i just bought door graphics for my doors A/C prices was 100 dollars,MLS price was 56 dollars to the door,I could have bought my front and rear bumpers from them for 350 dollars amazon's price was almost 500 dollars.
Do you have a link to their website?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts