Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site and to Arctic Cats.
I recently bought a 2009 Prowler 1000. Was told it had 1100 BBK speedwerks cams along with some other upgrades. Everything seemed to be working fine, until the other day while cruising around my property it seemed to loose power and started knocking then died. I pulled it back to my shop and started checking things out. The front spark plug had some damage like it had made contact with something. So I started digging further, removed the cover over the valve springs and one of the springs was not on the valve stem. Also it looks like the tappet adjustment screw on that rocker is missing. I will be pulling the valve cover and head off next, to see if there is even more damage.
What are some suggestions on anything else I should check while I am digging into this thing?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
one step at a time , but you might have to go much further into it ... kinda sounds like you know that though and are hoping for good news

sorry that isn't coming from me , I'm thinking the worst sorry

ON EDIT .. oops sorry , welcome to the house
location ?
fill in location and signature line

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site, I don't have a 1000 (damn it wish I did) but maybe someone on here that knows the XTZ can fill you in on what to check and any upgraded parts Arctic Cat may have. If you don't have a repair manual you can download a free pdf copy here "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts" they have some good info in them.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about you misfortune. Hope the damage is confined to just the cylinder, and head. Sounds like the adjuster backed out, and then hammered the valve stem until the retainer failed. Let us know what you find.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Depending on what you find, parts are usually available on POWERSPORTSNATION. COM, or ebay. Several online parts houses are also a good source. Babbitts in Michigan is one I use.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Can you back the studs out? If so pull the studs, then remove the cylinder. Also a word of caution on the studs, one of them may need to have a reduced shank as the bolt hole in the cylinder is a oil passage for the top end. Check the area around the cylinder/crankcase for an oil passage, if you find it that is the hole that needs a reduced shank. Arctic cat head bolts are a one time use, so some people went to studs to reduce the rebuild cost.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'd check the other cylinder for any signs of lack of oil. Same thin as before, a full stud will restrict oil to the top end. Arctic Cat uses head bolts not studs for the head, and cylinder assembly bolting to the case. I've attached pictures of my cam that was damaged by lack of oil, also the left front stud is where my oil passage is.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to pull the studs to get the head off, so studs are out. Working on removing the cylinder. I will check for the passage and measure the studs also. Just taking it slow so I do it right the first time. Also feels like connecting rod or something may be bent, after getting the head and pieces out I tried rolling it by hand and it binds up. So will be going through everything now.

Thanks for the tips so far, I am sure I will have more questions.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
use your calculator before you buy parts , might be better to buy whole new engine you'll get updated parts and you get warranty then too

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I've never been inside a 1000 motor, so I'll follow this closely!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I've never been inside a 1000 motor, so I'll follow this closely!
me either so for sure I'm watching ... knock on wood 6K miles and zero issues here

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Times the same as a 700, cylinder and heads are the same procedure, Hell I'm ready for a 1000! LOL, But this will be interesting to follow! I've seen mud pro 1000 cranks on ebay, I'm thinking they are the same for the Prowler. I'll run some part numbers shortly, getting ready to go ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
use your calculator before you buy parts , might be better to buy whole new engine you'll get updated parts and you get warranty then too
I have been looking at this route also, the main thing holding me back it the parts already in it with the big bore kit and other things that are supposedly done to it. I am still checking and verifying that the guy that sold it to me wasn't blowing smoke. But the new engine is still an option.
I bought it and had it for 4 days before this happened, so I was not happy and he will not return my calls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Times the same as a 700, cylinder and heads are the same procedure, Hell I'm ready for a 1000! LOL, But this will be interesting to follow! I've seen mud pro 1000 cranks on ebay, I'm thinking they are the same for the Prowler. I'll run some part numbers shortly, getting ready to go ride!
From what I am seeing the part numbers are the same.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sticker shock on a new motor is painful! But you get all new clutches, trans parts, stator, and a limited warranty. Only thing you have to add is the throttle body from your engine.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Found 2 engines on ebay, one from PowerSportsNation, and the other was for a 12 Arctic Cat Wildcat HO Engine Motor GUARANTEED.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts