Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, anybody else have this problem... every time I go out riding I have to take a wrench with an extension because the header bolts back out EVERY time I go out and it starts backfiring.. not the end of the world but would like to just go out and not have to crawl underneath it and wrench (especially when its covered in mud lol).

·
Registered
412 Posts
I starting having that problem after I replaced my stock exhaust pipe with the ceramic one. I tried the blue locktite but still had the issue. I found out that regular locktite begins to break it's hold at 300deg F. I went by a local muffler shop and they recommended Henkel/Loctite Usa 1134601 30 g LOCTITE[REG] 2422 High Temperature Med Strength Threadlocker is a locktite for high heat applications and does not break down until 600deg F. It's a little pricy but since I put it on I have yet to have the issue again. On a side note I did try lock-washers. They did not fix the problem. I don't know if the bolts/washers are shrinking some when they get hot or what.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, I'll check that out.. i was running the blue locktite too and it didn't hold up.. I think its just the vibration and movement from the way the muffler is on there. I put an extra strap on my pipe to try and hold it a little more steady but it still manages to wiggle loose.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
header bolts

i had the same problem when i changed headers,i ended up ordering a brass gasket from speedwerx and using the highest temp loctite i could find.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'm gonna order up a speedwerx gasket and get the good locktite. The biggest problem I can see is the way the pipe mounts up, it allows for the header to wiggle around quite a bit. anybody have any solutions for this as well?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey guys, was going to order the copper gasket thing when a mechanic buddy of mine looked at the header and came up with this idea. Cheap fix and it helps keep the header solid and lets it move with the motor. we just cut out the pipe and marked it to make sure that it was lined up and welded a piece of mesh flex pipe. looks pretty good so far. oh yeah and I did lock tite the bolts back in too. we went for a hard ride on some fast trails and the bolts didn't move a bit.. so far so good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
looks like you might have problem fixed......................:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts