Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2008 prowler 650 4 months ago with 150 hours and 1300 miles.

When i cranked it up a couple of days ago I saw some smoke coming between the seats. After inspection I saw that there is a mess on the back of the motor where the exhaust pipe connects to the motor. I checked the bolts at one was finger tight. I tightened it up and cleaned it up the best I could. Let dry and cranked it up. I can see a little bit of black oil bubbling around that seal still so i either didnt get it all cleaned or still leaking air but the smoke is gone for the moment after getting it off the block. So I have ordered a replacement gasket.

But its got me to thinking why do I have oil coming out the exhaust. Do I have another issue? Is that normal for the exhaust port to have oil there?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i purchased a 2008 prowler 650 4 months ago with 150 hours and 1300 miles.

When i cranked it up a couple of days ago i saw some smoke coming between the seats. After inspection i saw that there is a mess on the back of the motor where the exhaust pipe connects to the motor. I checked the bolts at one was finger tight. I tightened it up and cleaned it up the best i could. Let dry and cranked it up. I can see a little bit of black oil bubbling around that seal still so i either didnt get it all cleaned or still leaking air but the smoke is gone for the moment after getting it off the block. So i have ordered a replacement gasket.

But its got me to thinking why do i have oil coming out the exhaust. Do i have another issue? Is that normal for the exhaust port to have oil there?
welcome to the best prowler site,no it's not normal to have oil leaking like that,does it smoke out the muffler,i would take and clean everything up real good with brake or carb cleaner and re-inspect where the oil is coming from.looks like it could be coming from the rocker arm cover on top.if the oil is coming from the exhaust gasket thats not good.I would say you have a top end gasket leaking somewhere...............

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Currently doesn’t smoke out muffler. But I wasn’t sure if it was because the exhaust wasn’t really connected up so the oil was coming out instead of into the pipe? Or was it something I caught quick. Or if it was that gasket above the exhaust.

Would the internals where the rocker arm gasket is located have oil in it that leaks out? I am picturing that as the cover for the valve springs and all be dry.

I pulled the seats and cover off and inspected around the motor and it all appears ok except for that back part of the engine. Also checked oil level and it appears to be full and fresh.

Only history I know of is what info I got from previous owner. Mudding is the biggest thing people do around here. To start with this thing is super clean outside of scratches, has no indication of being mudded. I was told it was a deer lease vehicle and pictures I saw before buying was it parked at his deer lease buy his camp trailer. The air intakes all look stock and not tampered with indicating it was snorkeled.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Currently doesn’t smoke out muffler. But I wasn’t sure if it was because the exhaust wasn’t really connected up so the oil was coming out instead of into the pipe? Or was it something I caught quick. Or if it was that gasket above the exhaust.

Would the internals where the rocker arm gasket is located have oil in it that leaks out? I am picturing that as the cover for the valve springs and all be dry.

I pulled the seats and cover off and inspected around the motor and it all appears ok except for that back part of the engine. Also checked oil level and it appears to be full and fresh.

Only history I know of is what info I got from previous owner. Mudding is the biggest thing people do around here. To start with this thing is super clean outside of scratches, has no indication of being mudded. I was told it was a deer lease vehicle and pictures I saw before buying was it parked at his deer lease buy his camp trailer. The air intakes all look stock and not tampered with indicating it was snorkeled.
You would be able to see if the rocker covers have oil coming from them.when you check the oil on your prowler you dont want to thread the dip stick in just seat it on top of the threads then check,and make sure your air cleaner is clean....a lot of people neglect the air filter, the air intake is between the cab and bed and one good dusty ride will put a lot of dirt in the filter area and from there it goes to the motor.could very well be the head gasket leaking.let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know on checking the oil. Will recheck that. Air filter is clean. I figured the dust would be bad with where the intake is located so I have been on it.

Here are couple of side pics of the motor from the passenger side. I do see some activity above the spark plug there.

Is this what your calling the Rocker Cover?

and if thats the case looking at the parts manual I dont see a gasket there. Would it be as simple as taking it off and appling a sealant and bolting it back up?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Good to know on checking the oil. Will recheck that. Air filter is clean. I figured the dust would be bad with where the intake is located so I have been on it.

Here are couple of side pics of the motor from the passenger side. I do see some activity above the spark plug there.

Is this what your calling the Rocker Cover?

and if thats the case looking at the parts manual I dont see a gasket there. Would it be as simple as taking it off and appling a sealant and bolting it back up?
True the rocker arm covers are machined fit,but you could use a sealer on that.by looking it looks like the gasket between the head and rocker cover might be leaking....I would clean it up real good and see for sure where it is leaking at.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the insight and help. I have a basis for what I need to start looking for. I am hoping/praying its just a gasket, have enough headaches.

I will give a better scrub down and give it a work out this weekend, checking to see if i can figure out where its coming from exactly. Will report back.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I got it as clean as it's going to get unless it's sitting out of the frame. Thanks for the picture of the rocker cover.

Taking it to my lease Tomm and will report back with what I find.

I happened across the link for the repair manual a couple of days ago from this site.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Cool, that manual has helped me out several times along with the folks here.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There is an o-ring that goes on those valve covers. Part# 0830-004.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Trust the site! Years of experience talking!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments.

So I took it to the lease this weekend. Mind you I only tightened up the loose screw on the exhaust and cleaned the engine.

I put about 4-5 miles on it and 1-1.5 hours. I was clearing fence lines of downed trees. So I drove it and pulled some chunks of trees out of the way. No visible sign of a leak. The exhaust gasket I ordered should be in today and I will get a little more detailed.

Just didnt want the thread to die or you guys to think I am unappreciative.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked! The more active members the better for all concerned! Stay in touch, we love to BS also!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
buttt still a exhaust being loose shouldn't have that effect on oil loss / leaking .. sooo keep a close eye on oil level until you find the culprit

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
buttt still a exhaust being loose shouldn't have that effect on oil loss / leaking .. sooo keep a close eye on oil level until you find the culprit
True if the oil is coming out around the exhaust gasket that's not good.hopefully it is running down from somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts