Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would putting extra running lights on my prowler shorten my battery life? I installed two extra lights (55watt halogen bulbs) and only ran them for a short period of time and not long after that my factory battery died. I ran the hot wire from the battery and scrapped the paint off of a small area on the chassis and installed the ground wire. Did i do something wrong or is it just a coinsidence? I've replaced my battery and didn't want to hook the lights back up until i posted this thread to find out what to do.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If I had to guess I would say the battery was on its way out already. As you know Prowlers have seperate high and low beams and the charging system Keeps up with all four lights on just fine right? Now as far as running a extra set so a total of six halogens and fan etc. I don't know. My guess is no in the summer with the fan working hard. For short periods I would thing it should be fine. Maybe some inexpensive hid or led driving lights would draw less amperage?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info guys! I didn't realize the halogens was that hard on the charging system. I'll definately look into getting some HID light replacements. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 4WD CJ7. That may be a good option. I'm still trying to decide what i want to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
not sure if you figured your lights out but i replaced my high beams with hid and added to 7 in hid's and the charging system wouldn't keep up ended up installing an extra battery and an alternator not sure how much night riding you do but an extra battery will get you buy for a little while then recharge during the day. keep in mind hid's pull less watts but are more sensitive to voltage and if the battery starts to go the lights will shut off thats why i left the low beams halo.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure if you figured your lights out but i replaced my high beams with hid and added to 7 in hid's and the charging system wouldn't keep up ended up installing an extra battery and an alternator not sure how much night riding you do but an extra battery will get you buy for a little while then recharge during the day. keep in mind hid's pull less watts but are more sensitive to voltage and if the battery starts to go the lights will shut off thats why i left the low beams halo.
Good info. I don't do a lot of night riding and when i do it's only for three maybe four hours. I've only done it twice all this year. That's one reason i don't want to spend too much money on this upgrade. But i also don't want to burn up my stator or hurt any of the factory stuff. But thanks alot for your response. I'm still trying to decide.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked at my local autoparts store and they have the hid lights for cars. They are like 100.00 per bulb. Does that sound right? Do you buy those and have to customize them to fit? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cheap HID Kits

Great info guys! I didn't realize the halogens was that hard on the charging system. I'll definately look into getting some HID light replacements. Thanks.
35w is 35w... so a 35w Halogen will be the same as a 35w HID.

The HID though will give you 3-4 times more light. Stay with in the 6000K range and its a nice white light. The higher "K" number the more purple'ish the light becomes.
Everyone will be envious of you on those night rides.

I have a set on my XTZ, swapped out the high beam halogens for a HID kit. Its just amazing the amount of light these things toss.

Here is the cheapest place I found to get HID kits for ... well just about vehicle out there that currently has halogen. 25.00 a set plus S&H. The more you order the cheaper it gets. So I ordered 8 sets at once (myself and friends) and worked out to 45.00 a set.

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

(dont quote me on this) For any 2006 or newer quad or prowler the bulb number you need is #880 - In fact for your jealous friends who own rzr's but wish they had a prowler, Poo takes the same 880 bulb.

In AC parts book they call the bulb an 881 for some odd reason. I think they did this so you think you have to buy AC only HID kits... *shrug*

*NOTE* The DDM might have slow shipping. It took 5 weeks for my order to get to my door. Others have received them under two weeks but seems all the people I have referred to them - shipping is 2-3 weeks. Just a heads up so you know ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Isn't amp draw more important? I run 18 lights on my XTZ and most of them are the Vision X LED lights because they only draw .75 amps per light. I have a stock charging system with the Optima Yellow top. The charging system / Stator on my Cat is capable of 25 amps at 3000 rpm. The way I see is as long as the total amp draw is less then 25 at all times then my charge system can handle it and having the big Optima helps when the vehicle is off and you are running radios, lights and accessories. Is this a fair statement? Hey all of you electrical engineers what's your thought?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Leds draw a lot less amperage then a hid. Leds are probably more favorable in my opinion if you need a lot of light on a utv or anything with a small charging system. Real easy to see if you are at your limit of charging capacity. Just hook up your multi meter or volt gauge with aligator clips if you like and turn everything on that you intend to use. Then drive around with the fan running and all your accecories.If you are below 12 volts you are probably gonna have a problem if the battery or batteries do not have enough reserve to get you by.If you are between 12 and 12.15 you are probably borderline. Anything between 12.15 and 12.50 should be fine unless you add more draw.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Isn't amp draw more important? I run 18 lights on my XTZ and most of them are the Vision X LED lights because they only draw .75 amps per light. I have a stock charging system with the Optima Yellow top. The charging system / Stator on my Cat is capable of 25 amps at 3000 rpm. The way I see is as long as the total amp draw is less then 25 at all times then my charge system can handle it and having the big Optima helps when the vehicle is off and you are running radios, lights and accessories. Is this a fair statement? Hey all of you electrical engineers what's your thought?
I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have 49 years experience with automotive electrics and in particular the last 35 doing installs of accessory items on motorcycles and police cruisers.

Todd, you are absolutely correct in your statement! In every application, you determine the maximum amp output of the charging system, determine the amps needed for normal operation, and then add accessories that do not exceed the maximum amp output when combined with the amps needed for normal operation. If the amp draw totals more than the max output of the charging system, then the charging system must be upgraded to increase the charging system's max amp output. An example would be a standard alternator rated at 90 amps would be sufficient to address most standard automotive (car) needs. Adding the police cruiser accessories raises the amp demand beyond 90 amps so factories provided 120 or 150 amp alternators on police packages to address the expected need.

The battery is merely a storage device. For a short time, it can compensate for an increased amp demand beyond that of a charging system, but if the amp demand is beyond the capacity of the charging system, the battery will discharge until it is unable to compensate (ie: dead battery).

18 VisionX lamps are well within the 25 amp output you have and (at 13.50 amps, they are using only about 60% of your charging capacity - even if all were in use at the same time) it leaves you an additional amperage (11.50 amps) for ignition, CB, stereo, GPS, etc.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought. I am running 12 of the solos up on the roof and 2 in the rear and then the stock low beam with the HID replacement in the high beams. I also have the HDS-5 Baja GPS and powered external Antenna, Rugged Radio set up, 2 lighted whips, extra gauges and computers so I am sure I am approaching the limit. I have the lights set up through relays and I can isolate them 4 at a time. Most likely if I am pushing the system to it's limit it would be at night in the dunes.

Good to see you back on the site!

·
Registered
82 Posts

Sorry for making my reply confusing...

In my reply I was just answering the other post. He seemed confused that a 35w halogen draws more power then a 35w HID...

In my plan on my build, I'm putting a truck winch on the front and watt/amp draw is my main concern.

On a 12 volt system 13 watts = 1 amp draw

Keeping it simple - not exact science BUT it is close...

Watts = Volts x Amps

So lets say you have a 10 lights at 100 watts each on your truck. You wanna know how many amps that its sucking down.

Amps = Watts / Volts

Since a car battery is 12 volts: 1000W / 12V = 83.3 Amps

In layman terms ( explain how I came to this numbers), this is how I understand any elec. and how it works...

Amps is the horse power / engine - more amps = more cars you can push

Volts - tells you how big the highway is that the cars are traveling on...

House wiring:

120 volt is a single lane hi-way and takes MORE amps to push the cars down the hi-way

240 is a two lane hi-way and requires LESS amps to push the cars

On your hydro bill, you pay for AMPS not volts used.

This is why high draw equipment run at 240 , Hot water tanks / welders / stoves / oven etc...
They could run on 120 but it would cost double to power them

24volt system /12 volt system...

24 volt - So now the hi-way is double ( 2 times 12 volts) so a 120 amp alternator can power TWICE the amount of items then the exact 120 amp alt. on a 12 volt system.

Less amps are required to "push" the power to the ... say a light.

With AC EFI's: if at anytime the charging system/battery drops below 9 volts, you will start to see error codes on the speedo or it will die. The efi will not work below this voltage.

Im new here and I hope I have helped and not made it more confusing...:D

PS: Not an electrician but a plumber who knows enough to get myself in or out of trouble lol:cool:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the responses. It's nice having so many knowledgable guys on here to help out. I'm going to check out the site ditch pickle. Cost of this upgrade will have an effect on my decision but i want to weight all my options. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I checked at my local autoparts store and they have the hid lights for cars. They are like 100.00 per bulb. Does that sound right? Do you buy those and have to customize them to fit? Thanks.
Well that sounds very high to me.

They have to have a ballast and I think they have to be a certain size as well. If I were you I would call Nick at UTV Inc. and see what specials they have on the Dirtlights or Vision X direct replacement HID lights. They come in a pair for around $99.00 to $249.00 depending on the brand an sale they are running. These were designed for the particular side by side and would drop in and replace your low or high beam your choice. I run the Dirtlights in my XTZ and they have been great. Vision X is top notch as well.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that sounds very high to me.

They have to have a ballast and I think they have to be a certain size as well. If I were you I would call Nick at UTV Inc. and see what specials they have on the Dirtlights or Vision X direct replacement HID lights. They come in a pair for around $99.00 to $249.00 depending on the brand an sale they are running. These were designed for the particular side by side and would drop in and replace your low or high beam your choice. I run the Dirtlights in my XTZ and they have been great. Vision X is top notch as well.

Let us know what you decide.
Thanks flying121. I'll check with UTV Inc. also. I'll let you guys know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts