Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new to the forum but not to the prowler xtx. ever since i bought my prowler ive had really jerky takeoffs and the dealer always said thats just the way the prowler is, finally on vacation up north on the rim my turf saver rear end bit the bullet. the driveline would spin 17 times before the thing would start jerking around and moving, then once you were moving at say 30mph and let off the throttle it would free wheel and then finally catch and damn near throw you over the hood. so i came home, pulled the rear end apart, pulled the inner housing apart and found that the clutch packs were completely worn, so i did what any welder would do and turned it into a lincoln locker, the whole inner housing is welded up and back together and going strong, to replace it with a factory housing its over 900.00$, to go to the 650 rear end it would be even more because if the different ring and pinion sizes, plus you have to do front and rear. all it cost me was labor since im a welder. if you want this done or have questions on this just p.m. me. thanks guys, sorry for the long post

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its hard to somebody that has even had the rear end out of one of these things, and if they did they don't know what to do with it, we used to do the same fix on our 4x4's in high school, never ran into an issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any pictures as i was in a hurry to get the thing back in the dirt, i will be doing another members diff and i well take pictures during that build.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
what year did they come out with the turf saver diff.and what was the last year for the 650 prowler. i think 2008 for the 650 prowler.????????????????

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2009 was the first year of the turf saver, though a good idea in theory, a bad idea in design, i only got 4000 miles out of mine before it completely let go. And it was starting to fail around 1500 miles, whatever you guys do, don't run regular weight oil without the friction modifier, its a temporary band-aid but will fail your'e clutches within 150 miles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far i have 300+ miles on it, i would have more if my shocks would writ breaking, my prowler is down right now so i can fab up some fox nitrogen shock ,mounts front and rear and do a few things to the clutching. After that look out, I'm drawing up the idea of a small turbo system that will work with the big singlebore set up.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Reading this stuff sure makes me wish I was back in my home state of AZ. Seems like there are a ton of you Cat owners back home that are very resourceful. It would be nice and "handy" to live closer to all you guys and take advantage of everybody's knowledge and skills. Nice to have some friends to go riding with as well.......:D

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yeah its hard to somebody that has even had the rear end out of one of these things, and if they did they don't know what to do with it, we used to do the same fix on our 4x4's in high school, never ran into an issue.
What about the heat treating of the gears? Isnt that messed up when its welded?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
joe i think if he migs them,it probably would'nt get has hot.now if you buzz box them your gonna glow em. just my thought.

·
Administrator
7,262 Posts
Looking at AC Store Parts list, and 2009 & 10 show a # number of 0502-825 for $869.49. 2011 up show a different part number 1402-032 for $183.99. Did they quit making the turf saving diff in 2011? Both numbers show the part as a 36 tooth rear gear. Will the parts interchange?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I just ordered a 700 XT locked ring gear 157.00 and 2 inner cvs for 97.00 each. to fix it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone wants to have theirs welded up, I'm only charging $175 and you bring it to me in the Phoenix area or you pay shipping. Just send me or bring me the inside carrier, i will disassemble, clean, square off in a jig for alignment, tig everything back together, then tig the carrier pin fully back in, not just tacked in two tiny places, and tig the upper cap back on. You can call me at 633_229_1793 , my name is D.J., or just p.m. me. Thanks guys

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes the turf-save came in all xtx's til 2012 iirc.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts