Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Finally took the Prowler for the first ride.

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
Well we picked up this used Prowler a while ago.

When we first picked it up it had 3200mi which made me nervous since to me this is high miles. It ran rough, squealed loudly when it moved, had a knock, and other loud rattling sounds. I was actually worried it was going to blow if I took it out on the trail.

So with that thought I have been using it around the house on and off plus 2 runs down to the recycling center. I have changed oil, replaced the Sparkplug, replaced the battery, and ran SeaFoam through it (in the oil before the change in the rest through the gas with 91 octane gas.

Slowly it has started idling smoother, the squealing is less and our run to the recycling center over the weekend it sounded pretty good.

Soo our new helmets arrived and Sunday evening my daughter and I went for a short trail ride. She took our 700 Sportsman and I took the Prowler.

The Prowler still feels like something is hanging up but after stopping and putting it into 4wd, the issue is the front end, with it hopefully being the brakes since it rode much smoother in 4wd. OK as smooth as anything can on a dirt path that has dried ruts all over! LOL I loved it! Wished the lights were a little better and turned on the Hi beams, Loved it!!!

This Prowler is going to be an absolute blast this year!! It ran great, it is feeling stronger each time we take it out.

Now I just need to find out what is causing friction up front and more than likely will be just upgrading the brakes on all for with the Ripsaw rotors and pads since other reviewers commented that they helped remove/lessen the squealing and improved stopping!

I also still need to remove the seat and add washers between the exhaust Heat shield and the bolts since they wore through the heat shield causing additional rattling.

I did notice the Prowler rode very rough so I will have to look into the suspension and betting the previous owner cranked it way up.

Oh also need to do something with the seat belts since the clip sticks and doesn't like to slide on the belt. LOL

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it just needs to be run! 700 engines are pretty durable! I now have 7,300 miles on mine, and runs great! Front brakes are more than likely dragging. Keep running it! I set my shocks in the neutral setting, and the stock suspension is still being used! Like anything, it takes awhile to sort things out!

#3 ·
Yeah, now that we have new helmets hope to use it some more. :)

I run a loop that heads out one side of town on the road then out to the main trail system, then take that till almost the other side of town where the trail splits off and part heads back into the other side of town. Little bit of woods than back onto the road at the top of a hill. I was using that hill to "break-in/clear up" the brakes buy running up to the 25mph ATV/UTV speed limit then hitting the brakes. Rinse and repeat. :) our older Sportsmans tend to squeal on and off too due to the Engine braking which rarely requires us to use the brakes. The Prowler's EBS is even stronger! :)

#4 ·
That was what I discovered on my Prowler! I very seldom use the brakes! I removed the one way bearing, and engine braking is still pretty good. If I'm completely off throttle, mine will start to freewheel around 20mph, if I maintain light throttle it will engine brake to 10.

#5 ·
3,200 high miles?:) I got to get riding so I can hit 8,000 before RD >:)

#6 ·
Yeah, they add up quick! Only thing that truly failed was the right front axle retainer! Replaced the clip, shoved it back in and no further problems! It has been a great machine! I've had other incidents, but they were all self inflected, live and learn!

#7 ·
LOL shows how much I know in Off road mileage. I have no idea what is high and what isn't. LOL

Our 15 year old Sportsman 335 is probably around 2,000mi with most of it being plowing and pulling a trailer. Our Sportsman 700 probably has between 400 - 600 mi.

We used to rind then no one wanted to go for years and they just sit. The Prowler has helped spark up the Riding excitement. :) no more smacking helmets with the kids. LOL

Sounds like we picked the right UTV! :)

#8 ·
Congrats! Just to echo what someone said before, you really need to just ride 'em. I've got 1400 on my '11. I guess I really need to get my butt in gear.

#9 ·
Just like any vehicle, abuse it and it fails, I think I will keep adding miles to mine without any major problems, granted I go overboard on taking mine down frequently (LOL), but proper care will extend the lifecycle. These roller bearing motors are hard to beat as long as the oil and filter (s) are changed as needed.

#10 ·
Na not you .. take it apart no not you .... guys if you ever see a good close up picture of his rig it's covered at all attachment area's with Dzus quarter turn fasteners LOL >:)

#11 ·
Yea, I do like to screw with it! Putting the LTE exhaust back on it, and the Plow! We are supposed to get 1-3" tonight, and 3-6 tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.