Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished adding the vent to my rear diff and man was it easy. Thought it would be a lot harder.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Joe.. I think I read a while back where AlmostxProwler did this. Did you do the same mod? I may be missing something but what's the reason behind doing that? May be soething else I want to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
In my case I was finding that my diffs, especially the rear diff was building pressure. This pressure needed somewhere to go and it kept blowing out my seals, on my axels and input shaft. There is a dry cavity at the fron of the diff where fluid does not circulate and this is where you drill in to it to allow the pressure to vent freely.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Joe.. I think I read a while back where AlmostxProwler did this. Did you do the same mod? I may be missing something but what's the reason behind doing that? May be soething else I want to do. Thanks.
Daryle, here is a thread with a lot of info.... http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/arctic-cat-prowler-performance-discussions/478-rear-differential-venting.html

I did a version of the Biopolar vent mod. I drilled and installed the vent in the nose cone. I ran it to a catch can, and then ran the other end of the line up through my stock roll cage with a differential vent cap at the end (no filter installed). It worked well on my elk hunt. No leaks, but to be honest with my mountain trail riding, I don't know if I would have even needed the vent.

The only downside that I noticed was that I was getting a nice wiff of my differential everytime I turned my head to look over my shoulder. I didn't know what was going on. I thought I was leaking differential fluid until I realized I was just smelling the sweet aroma of my differential from the vent tube....:D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok.. Thanks for the info guys. I will read through the Rear Diff Vent thread and see if I want to tackle this or not. I think a may need to take a break from projects on this thing for a few before I get burned out... maybe do something crazy like drive it for a while! lol...

OutWest... not to switch gears on this thread but how's your brakes working out? On my ride last week my dealer had a booth there. I was complaining to him about the brake chatter and he said if I was interested they have started doing the same conversion you did. Depends on how much they want but if it's nothing crazy I'm going to make that my #1 priority!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i did the diff mod also i really dont think you have to do it,just depends on what kind of riding you do.last summer we were coming back from a 50 mile ride and pressure built up in bladder and it blew up fluid everywhere,i went and bought new bladder,and my articcat dealer said there was a bulletin on the problem to run your fluid level 1'' low. did the same ride 4 or 5 times and have had no problems.and after that i did the diff mod i just come from the stock location with a catch can then run line back into my bladder,i used a clear catch and i have never seen fluid in it yet...................

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ok.. Thanks for the info guys. I will read through the Rear Diff Vent thread and see if I want to tackle this or not. I think a may need to take a break from projects on this thing for a few before I get burned out... maybe do something crazy like drive it for a while! lol...

OutWest... not to switch gears on this thread but how's your brakes working out? On my ride last week my dealer had a booth there. I was complaining to him about the brake chatter and he said if I was interested they have started doing the same conversion you did. Depends on how much they want but if it's nothing crazy I'm going to make that my #1 priority!
My brakes worked great on my elk hunt. No chatter any longer. No complaints here. Well, I guess the only thing would be I still need to do an emergency brake of some sort (likely a park lock). But even without it, I didn't really have any issues without one.

I'd be curious to see what your dealer charges for the conversion (my guess is a lot). And I'm curious what they use as an emergency brake.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
when you get a price let me know,ill ask my dealer if they have done any yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm going to call him in a few and get the info. I will let you guys know what he says.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I was letting people know how easy it is to do. You dont need to do it if you havent serviced or replaced an axle in your rear diff because when you do you allow air in the diff then when you replace the part and fill the diff with the trapped air the oil cant expand then it builds up too much pressure and blows the oil past the seals. Read my other post about getting the air out of the diff after you service it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok... I definetely need to read up on this more. I never had an oil leak until about a mounth ago I replaced my rear passenger axle. Now is doesn't "leak" but it does stay wet looking on the diff around that axle. So I guess it's "seeping" out now. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
thanks joe i read your post on getting air out when i service rear diff.makes alot of since.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes Joe, that may be a good fix for this problem. I was wondering tho, wont there eventually be air getting in to the diff through the seals due to expansion and contraction and it getting past the seals?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Joe, that may be a good fix for this problem. I was wondering tho, wont there eventually be air getting in to the diff through the seals due to expansion and contraction and it getting past the seals?
Well all I can say is if the seal is doing its job nothing should be getting in or out unless the sael is worn in the past will my 4X4 trucks never had stuff get in thru the seals and Bi Polar Racing that won the Baja with a 700 and an 1000 XTZ said this is the fix and I believe them. But People have to do what they thing is best for them. I did it because its rite for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts