Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stuff is so easy to work with. I did the hood and scoop in about 2 hours. The side stripes in about an hour. If you want to change it later or mess it up, just peel it off. I washed the hood to see how durable it is, it would not peel off. I'm not gonna try a super duty pressure washer quite yet, but I think it would hold up to it. You have to cut it, then peel it hard to get it to peel. Its fun to wok with. Hit it with Metallic or Pearl clearcoat to make it look really cool. I'm gonna try more later on. I may do some stripes on my truck, next. PlastiDip saw I posted a thread on Facebook and wants to feature it on their website! Fun!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
This stuff is so easy to work with. I did the hood and scoop in about 2 hours. The side stripes in about an hour. If you want to change it later or mess it up, just peel it off. I washed the hood to see how durable it is, it would not peel off. I'm not gonna try a super duty pressure washer quite yet, but I think it would hold up to it. You have to cut it, then peel it hard to get it to peel. Its fun to wok with. Hit it with Metallic or Pearl clearcoat to make it look really cool. I'm gonna try more later on. I may do some stripes on my truck, next. PlastiDip saw I posted a thread on Facebook and wants to feature it on their website! Fun!!!
Looks great.........I like the new look........

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great.........I like the new look........
Thanks, Buddy! From looking back to when we bought it 2 years ago, it looked pretty pansy-assed, then. Its come a long way! You guys have been my inspiration and bankruptcy instigators! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Now that adds some style to it, I'm going to have to order or make a trip to the city and try some of that stuff

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
hey that looks like mine , wrong color though :)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Really turned out nice! Gotta get some!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Bryan ... I haven't spent the time to read up on the Plasti Dip

how about a brief write up on what it is and use / tutorial of it's use for us dumb lazy azzez..

I need to repair my "scoop" as one of the molded in pins that hold it on broke off I noticed when I had it out of the shop before I left for Arizona

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Speech, Speech, go Bryan!LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Well look what I found at the local hardware store, 8 bucks a can but beats driving to the city. All they had was one can of smoke, one glossifier, and a bunch of bright florescent colors. Smoke is what I wanted for now anyway, I got a couple ideas I want to try.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Well the first trial was a fail. My back roll up window is looking pretty rough and has marks permanently embossed from the V-Bars. I thought maybe a coat of smoke would tint the back window would hide some of the marks and maybe block some sun. I had the windows from my old soft doors so I did the test on them and unfortunately the smoke isn't a smooth enough finish to see through and be safe. It was flexible enough I could still roll it.

I'm am having a problem with some clumps being sprayed from the can, I'm sure I need it to be warmer, temps weren't that high today. I saw on one youtube video a guy recommended putting the can in hot water before using.

Update: just read this on Plasti Dip's site.

If you plan on spraying your project in cooler conditions, we recommend pre-warming the aerosol can by placing it in a warm room and allowing the contents to reach room temperature.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I used window tinting on some severely scratched Plexiglas, worked pretty good, and held up. Or vinyl sprays are available.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I used window tinting on some severely scratched Plexiglas, worked pretty good, and held up. Or vinyl sprays are available.
I was looking at some window tinting film at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, I'd like to use that at the top of my windshield for a little sun block. Haven't seen the vinyl sprays I'll check into that.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I warmed mine up in front of the houses furnace vents before I brought it out to the heated, attached garage to spray. Its does splatter when it gets cold. This is the texture I got when I painted the scoop. I don't actually mind it! The stripes on the hood laid down nice and smooth, I did those in the heated garage. But, since the "way better half'" didn't approve of the stinking up her house, my dipping is now done in the boat shed. .... Sorry Honey!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Well the first trial was a fail. My back roll up window is looking pretty rough and has marks permanently embossed from the V-Bars. I thought maybe a coat of smoke would tint the back window would hide some of the marks and maybe block some sun. I had the windows from my old soft doors so I did the test on them and unfortunately the smoke isn't a smooth enough finish to see through and be safe. It was flexible enough I could still roll it.

I'm am having a problem with some clumps being sprayed from the can, I'm sure I need it to be warmer, temps weren't that high today. I saw on one youtube video a guy recommended putting the can in hot water before using.

Update: just read this on Plasti Dip's site.

Mike I noticed when I used it That I had clumps also with the cooler Temps.....

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I warmed mine up in front of the houses furnace vents before I brought it out to the heated, attached garage to spray. Its does splatter when it gets cold. This is the texture I got when I painted the scoop. I don't actually mind it! The stripes on the hood laid down nice and smooth, I did those in the heated garage. But, since the "way better half'" didn't approve of the stinking up her house, my dipping is now done in the boat shed. .... Sorry Honey!
Got an attached garage but it's not heated, I might wait until to weather gets a little warmer and do like some suggest and put the cans in hot water before using.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well look what I found at the local hardware store, 8 bucks a can but beats driving to the city. All they had was one can of smoke, one glossifier, and a bunch of bright florescent colors. Smoke is what I wanted for now anyway, I got a couple ideas I want to try.
tinting the windows?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
tinting the windows?
That was a thought but it didn't work, it doesn't dry transparent enough to see through. I would be great if you want to make privacy windows and still let light in. I might work for an eyebrow at the top of the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They say that if you spray on the Clear Deglossifier, it will diminish the sun and act as a "Privacy" curtain. I thought about doing it to the upper 4"s of the windshield. If you don't have any, don't rush out to buy it... I'll try it first!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
They say that if you spray on the Clear Deglossifier, it will diminish the sun and act as a "Privacy" curtain. I thought about doing it to the upper 4"s of the windshield. If you don't have any, don't rush out to buy it... I'll try it first!
I got the glossifier and smoke, can't find any black local, only the blaze colors.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts