Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy.

Bought my 500 HDX used last year, and all has been fine.

Last week, I took it up north, where there are crazy amounts of trails. I noticed on long, high speed runs (about 35 - 40 min) there was all sorts of heat coming up through the seats. I mean LOTS! The seat belt connector was super hot to the touch. I never noticed it on any other rides before. Once it got hot, it for the most part stayed that way, unless we shut down for a 20 min break.

I also noticed that if I turned the machine off, it was difficult to start, and sometimes if you would stop the machine and take off again, it would stall. There was no evidence of the machine overheating.

Any ideas on this?

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
These things build a lot of heat! I insulated and added heat shields to help mine. Almost sounds like you are on the verge of vapor lock, check the fuel line routing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does yours have the side storage boxes?

Mine does not and I have never had any heat issues, Not eve through the seat.
I wonder if the extra air flow from the sides and from the rear wheels keeps it from getting hot.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Is it near any heat source that may heat it excessively? The way they package these things it is a wonder that they work as good as they do!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine turned out to be the decompression cam stuck, disabled it and no more heat issue. oh then I sold it...

Reactions: Bryan

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Check your exhaust pipe tp head gasket (ring). The composite ones will break up and can move sideways in the exhaust pipe, restricting the flow. Cause a lot of problems. If its bad, replace it with a steel ring from Country Cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts