Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swamped my 09 650 this evening. Water got over the exhaust and the engine quit. Finally got it pulled out of the woods and got it back home.

Starter turns a few times then quits. What do I need to do to get it back running?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Pull the spark plug, let het sit with it out while you change the engine oil and filter. Clean the air filter, and get all the water out of the air box. That little duck bill valve in the air box get full of crap and won't drain, half the time. After getting all this done, turn the engine over with the plug out several times. Then put it in and try to start it. If it starts. Let it run for a few minutes and change the oil again. Might want to change the diff fluids, too. Water can get it through the seals. Then think about wheel bearings. The water can wash out the grease.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It may require numerous oil changes to get the oil out. Some recommend flushing it with diesel.

I know of several engines that went for many many miles after a flooding. Just get all the water out ASAP.
The machines that didn't survive a flooding were ran with water in them and/or sat to long.

Good Luck.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
This is some great guidance to follow! Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drained the oil last night,pulled the plug, added 2qts of oil I had on hand.

Turned it over a few times to spit water out the spark plug hole.

Let it sit over night.when I got up this morning, I put the plug back in and turned it over. Cranked and let it run about 45 sec to a minute.

Turned it off and let it settle until I got home from work this evening. Pulled the dipstick and see milk. So I got a canmof diesel.

I'm reading that you drain the oil and refill with diesel and then put diesel in crank case vent hole.

1) should I ad to crankcase and if so,
2) where is the vent hole, exactly?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Like a PCV hole? Hmm.... Not sure! You changed the filter too, right? Man, I don't know about the diesel fuel. Its so thin. I sure would run it at fast, I think it would wash out the bearings. I would just use cheap ole oil and filters until it comes out clean. Just my opinion....

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Crankcase vent tube on a 700 is on the left side of the crankcase forward of the cylinder, I think the 650's are the same. I agree with Bryan that diesel fuel would wash out the bearings. Better bet would be el cheapo oil. I'd over fill the motor and turn it over by hand with the plug out. Darn water clings to everything! Put the piston at BDC, shoot some oil in the cylinder and rotate the motor slowly. Drain and repeat as needed! Learned that from mama's cookbook! LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I too would NOT use Diesel fuel , bearing wash and residual to dilute new oil would be my concern ..... a few filters and fresh Dino oil is cheep insurance to longer engine life just another mans opinion here

·
Registered
168 Posts
The diesel procedure can be found on the internet. Not sure if links are okay here or a rules violation so I didn't add them.

To be clear, you do not run it with diesel in the crank case. You fill by the breather, let it sit to absorb/mix with the water and drain. Then cheap oil filter run drain repeat until your are not making milk.

The cat engines are pretty tough and survive drownings better then some of the other makes. The Kawasaki's are pretty bad, really hard to get water out of.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Adding links off the internet is usually fine, only thing we watch is poaching members! There are so many bearings internal to the AC motors, damaging one results in a major teardown. Flushing with fuel oil, and then soaking in oil should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts