Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my right front axle seal is starting to leak,im an auto mechanic so i check for up/down movement in the output of the diff and the axle is floppy, thinking the bearings are bad. After research,im not so sure they are.do the axles have a lot of slop in them, like the front wheel hubs do? i replaced the front wheel bearings because of excessive bearing slop only to realize the hub doesn't tighten up the bearings like on a car. Almost like the axle shaft is worn allowing slop when axle nut is tightened.im thinking same for the diff,just arctic cat slop.am i wrong? Should there be up\down slack in axle at the output?

·
Registered
10 Posts
my right front axle seal is starting to leak,im an auto mechanic so i check for up/down movement in the output of the diff and the axle is floppy, thinking the bearings are bad. After research,im not so sure they are.do the axles have a lot of slop in them, like the front wheel hubs do? i replaced the front wheel bearings because of excessive bearing slop only to realize the hub doesn't tighten up the bearings like on a car. Almost like the axle shaft is worn allowing slop when axle nut is tightened.im thinking same for the diff,just arctic cat slop.am i wrong? Should there be up\down slack in axle at the output?
There is a snap ring that holds axle into differential gear and it wears causing axle to pop out slightly and leak. Turn the snap ring around and attempt to seat axle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i checked, and yes prior owner had the axles in the wrong side and it wouldn't go in all the way, swapped them and know its fine. Now to diagnose the no engagement of the actuator, took the switch apart (a lot of springs and such)cleaned it and all electrical connections and now no function at all. May have blown a fuse next on the list. Ordered a new switch hopefully that helps.

·
Administrator
7,349 Posts
yes i checked, and yes prior owner had the axles in the wrong side and it wouldn't go in all the way, swapped them and know its fine. Now to diagnose the no engagement of the actuator, took the switch apart (a lot of springs and such)cleaned it and all electrical connections and now no function at all. May have blown a fuse next on the list. Ordered a new switch hopefully that helps.
Sounds like you are getting to know your Prowler! Keep us posted on the switch replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you are getting to know your Prowler! Keep us posted on the switch replacement.
yes, getting to know it.im an automotive mechanic and not used to how bikes are built, and also getting old and forgetful. I took the switch apart and figured out where the springs went traced the connections,etc.upon assembling the switch, I noticed that the rocker had a nub you have to pull down to push it into lock.didnt even know it had 3 settings, thought only 2.it know engages better after cleaning and all 3 functions work. Slapped myself a bit for missing the obvious, but when new switch comes in ill replace this one. Thanks for all the response.

·
Administrator
7,349 Posts
yes, getting to know it.im an automotive mechanic and not used to how bikes are built, and also getting old and forgetful. I took the switch apart and figured out where the springs went traced the connections,etc.upon assembling the switch, I noticed that the rocker had a nub you have to pull down to push it into lock.didnt even know it had 3 settings, thought only 2.it know engages better after cleaning and all 3 functions work. Slapped myself a bit for missing the obvious, but when new switch comes in ill replace this one. Thanks for all the response.
Glad you got it sorted out! I went from drag racing to a SXS, got to be too old to maintain a drag car! Figured a Prowler would be a lot easier to work on! LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotcha.next project ,check rocker arm gap, and relocate the battery to under the hood. Prior owner put a car battery in the flatbed because the one under the seat is a ***** to get to, which i agree, except the gangy battery cable connections was to laugh at and wonder why i hadn't been stranded yet. Every single fastener was loose after they worked on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts