·
Registered
291 Posts
sorry to hear that Doug

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No warranty. I'm wondering if this is the famous shoddy pin weld I remember reading about? Guys on highlifter say theres supposed to be a needle bearing on that end of the pinion. It must have come apart and tore into the housing as things rotated. Everything else looks ok, not sure if the housing is shot or not but thats a hell of a groove wore there where the bearing is supposed to be. If the housings shot looks like she won't be fixed till after christmas, too many presents to buy! I feel like somebody shot my dog! lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes there is sposed to be a brg at the end of the pinion,and yes it looks like the crosspin came out and did that damage.look at the pin that goes thru the carrier assy in your 2nd photo and you should be able to see both ends and they should be welded around the ends with a very tiny insuffcient weld.i will be putting a safety shield on my buddys soon like ive done both of mine.i will take some picts this time and post.i recommend it to everyone.it will save your cases in the event of a pin or spider/side gear failure.all the warr in the world doesnt help you 50miles from the truck!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes there is sposed to be a brg at the end of the pinion,and yes it looks like the crosspin came out and did that damage.look at the pin that goes thru the carrier assy in your 2nd photo and you should be able to see both ends and they should be welded around the ends with a very tiny insuffcient weld.i will be putting a safety shield on my buddys soon like ive done both of mine.i will take some picts this time and post.i recommend it to everyone.it will save your cases in the event of a pin or spider/side gear failure.all the warr in the world doesnt help you 50miles from the truck!!!!
You got my attention, what kinda safety shield?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ok,heres what ive learned the hard way.if you are hard on your stuff and have better then stock tires and you are putting it to it with the frt diff locked you can and probly will end up breaking a tooth off of a spider gear or the side gear that the non locking side axle goes into.that tooth will fall into the bottom of the case and get caught between the ring and pinion gears.this will in turn blow the cases in half.or if the cheesy weld on the spider gear cross shaft fails and the pin comes out it will cause the above formentioned damage,again destroying the case.so this is what ive done to the replacement diffs on 2 modded quads,a stk 650 xt and my 1000,and fixin to do another 1000 soon.sorry its long winded,had to work up to it.you have to remove diff and disassemble to get to the carrier assy seen in his 2nd photo.then you get some 22ga. Sheetmetal and cut a piece approx 1 3/4 x 7in.(numbers are not exact)its been awhile.you then wrap the carrier with this piece tight around the carrier so theres an 1/8 gap and secure with 2 hose clamps.then spot weld the ends to the carrier and 6 or so places around both sides.grind down the welds smooth and reassemble(you may have to trim the case slightly near the pinion brg for clearance.now the pin is trapped,as well as any gear teeth should they fail.and if it does all you havta buy is the ring gears assy for 200 buks instead of 1200 for a whole diff assy!

·
Registered
421 Posts
started getting a popping sound in the front diff after a ride, when i opened her up today this is what i found:
if you have a low milage 07,or early build 08,and your dealer is worth a **** they should/may be able to get this covered.all mid 08 and on had this weld updated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My gears don't appear to be missing any teeth. I might be able to get away with replacing the housing and pinion bearing, which is alot cheaper than I originally thought. My pin appears to have come loose and did the damage but it's sitting centered up where it should be? Do the spider gears self center themselves or are the pressed onto that pin meaning I can't just reweld it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you have a low milage 07,or early build 08,and your dealer is worth a **** they should/may be able to get this covered.all mid 08 and on had this weld updated.
Even if the warranty is long gone with 1400 miles? Mines an 08 but not sure of when in 08. Would the dealer know by the vin?

·
Registered
421 Posts
even if the warranty is long gone with 1400 miles? Mines an 08 but not sure of when in 08. Would the dealer know by the vin?
the vin sticker is on the frame lh side by the radiator i believe,it will have the birthday on it.they warr the one in my xt because the pin came out and self destructed the diff.i took the new one apart and "updated" it and reinstalled. I did my 1000 soon as i got it home!

·
Registered
421 Posts
my gears don't appear to be missing any teeth. I might be able to get away with replacing the housing and pinion bearing, which is alot cheaper than i originally thought. My pin appears to have come loose and did the damage but it's sitting centered up where it should be? Do the spider gears self center themselves or are the pressed onto that pin meaning i can't just reweld it?
you might be able to reweld it,take it out and look at it,mine was broken into 3 pieces.but if it looks good otherwise you proly could replace brg and reweld and get lucky this once.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry to hear that your ride is down. Call AC and start bitching. Mine is still in the shop waiting on disposition but I fully expect AC to cover the parts if not the labor too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts