Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i recommend this to everyone who has better then stock tires,uses the throttle,races,goes mudding/rock crawling,use 4wd alot esp diff in diff lock or travels far from the truck. using diff lock makes all the power go thru the spider and side gears in the front diff to the axle opposite the 4wd actuator.if you happen to have all the weight on that tire while on the power,and this happens more then you realize,you will break a tooth or more off these gears.these teeth will then fall into the bottom of the case and get picked up and try to go between the ring and pinion.at this point the diff case will become more then one piece and the oil will pour out. also if the cross pin cheese dick weld fails you will have what ryanscat,myself and others had had for damage.my shield will hold the pin in as well as trap gear teeth so that all you have to purchase is the carrier/ring gear for 200 buks instead of a complete diff for 1200.... more to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the first pict is the carrier assy,#2 is cheese dick weld on center pin,#3 22ga sheet metal(thicker will cause clearance problems),#4 is shield partially on carrier,#5 shows end of sheetmetal arranged between large hole and pin. this is where you want it so you can weld the ends.....more

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your piece of sheetmetal is 1.5 in wide by 8.25 in long,place it on with ends between pin and hole and clamp with 2 large hose clamps with edge of sheetmetal 7/16 in down from edge of carrier. weld in 6-8 places on inside edge by gear and outside edge as well as the ends. grind all welds down flush.place carrier back into case(with shim installed).turn by hand to make sure none of the sheet mteal or welds hit anything.grind as ness or assemble. take note of the shims,they are chamfered on inside on one side.this side towards the carrier!

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Excellent idea. Can the spider gears be removed or the ring gear removed from the housing that holds the spiders? Reason I ask is i've got a housing coming with spiders, ring gear and a good pin. His ring gear had some teeth missing but I wonder if it would be possible to swap ring gears rather than grind out the pin then install pin in mine and reweld? Did that make any sense?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent idea. Can the spider gears be removed or the ring gear removed from the housing that holds the spiders? Reason I ask is i've got a housing coming with spiders, ring gear and a good pin. His ring gear had some teeth missing but I wonder if it would be possible to swap ring gears rather than grind out the pin then install pin in mine and reweld? Did that make any sense?
cat says its not a servicable item...but,i i spose if you ground the weld off the ends of the pin and removed it you might be able to spin the gears out,thats how you replace in a real veh,but i dont think the gears will fit out the hole in carrier:mad:.i believe it is assembled then the end of carrier is welded on,in which case your screwd.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nice post mine is in AC jail right now for the front diff exploding causing us to roll over. So when it gets out of jail I will do this mod. It could save someone from getting hurt.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Nice post mine is in AC jail right now for the front diff exploding causing us to roll over. So when it gets out of jail I will do this mod. It could save someone from getting hurt.
Please tell us some more about this. I am doing high speed in my XTZ and haven't considered the front diff giving way and that could be catastrophic for me. Was it low speed? High speed? Cornering? Descending?
Thank for sharing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well I dont mean to steal the thread but. I was in PA. riding and was on a technical rocky trail going up the mountain and at the top I turned off the 4x4 then turned onto a flat dirt road. I let my buddys gazer go ahead a bit to let the dust settle (and its a good thing I did) I got up to maybe 30mph and crunch bang boom. The front tires stoped and we didnt it slid sideways then rolled. Thank god we were going slow and wife wasnt with me. We normaly run as fast as we can, I ride with RZR guys so I dont let them get away. Anyway I took it to my dealer and they say my extended warranty was over and cat wouldnt cover the damage anyway because I have made mods to the car. So I called the insurance guy and they covered all repairs. I waited to post about it till it was all sorted out. I love my Cat and will keep it, but this was hard to deal with. I do take some blame I run this thing like a off road machine. I just wont trust it so much anymore.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well I dont mean to steal the thread but. I was in PA. riding and was on a technical rocky trail going up the mountain and at the top I turned off the 4x4 then turned onto a flat dirt road. I let my buddys gazer go ahead a bit to let the dust settle (and its a good thing I did) I got up to maybe 30mph and crunch bang boom. The front tires stoped and we didnt it slid sideways then rolled. Thank god we were going slow and wife wasnt with me. We normaly run as fast as we can, I ride with RZR guys so I dont let them get away. Anyway I took it to my dealer and they say my extended warranty was over and cat wouldnt cover the damage anyway because I have made mods to the car. So I called the insurance guy and they covered all repairs. I waited to post about it till it was all sorted out. I love my Cat and will keep it, but this was hard to deal with. I do take some blame I run this thing like a off road machine. I just wont trust it so much anymore.
Did it bust the diff case? Guess I got lucky if you want to call it that. The drunk ass riding with me wouldn't even put his harness on. It scares me to think what could have happened.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had worried since the day I heard of the problem. I thought I had a cat that wasn't made on friday, but I guess they all are.(ha ha) I was extremely lucky that my wife doesn't have a lead foot and the case separated as it did to drop loose parts and not lock up the diff. It probably had two miles on the busted diff before she made it home. (Its 3 mi. to our mailbox).
I would certainly hope that the next diff has a fix for the problem. Is your mod needed on newer models after the infamous diff problem? If so, then I will tell my tech how skeptical I am about the replacement and would pay extra for this fix to be preformed. Next I would consider strategicaly drilled holes for oil passages, and know clearance. I never want to worry again after it has failed once. This is a safety issue.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had worried since the day I heard of the problem. I thought I had a cat that wasn't made on friday, but I guess they all are.(ha ha) I was extremely lucky that my wife doesn't have a lead foot and the case separated as it did to drop loose parts and not lock up the diff. It probably had two miles on the busted diff before she made it home. (Its 3 mi. to our mailbox).
I would certainly hope that the next diff has a fix for the problem. Is your mod needed on newer models after the infamous diff problem? If so, then I will tell my tech how skeptical I am about the replacement and would pay extra for this fix to be preformed. Next I would consider strategicaly drilled holes for oil passages, and know clearance. I never want to worry again after it has failed once. This is a safety issue.
i would do it on everyone.the picts i posted was of a 09 xtz with 490mi on it.and the weld was barely more then some electricity marks.its cheap and fairly easy to do insurance.and in all honesty ive seen more of em with broken side/spider gear teeth then i have the loose pin,ive had both! but have been involved some how in half dozen.eveytime it was 10mi from trailer,and another 100 frm hm.doesnt really matter how much warr or insurance you have in the woods!both failures are usually quite violent and puts alotta shock to the axles,trans ect. as well.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hey Don I think mine has busted again.....
It pop's and clunks when in Diff Lock and loaded hard...

What do you think should I pop it out and pull it apart?
Or pop the diff out and go to your house with it and a half rack?
Suppose I just have to grind off where you welded it to the carrier and inspect?

4 wheel works good until loaded real hard and even more noisy when in diff lock..

Whatcha thinkin...... Do I still have extended warrenty?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good tech article!
Hasn't A.C. addressed this obvious engineering problem? If so does my 2010 XTX have an upgrade or do I have to attack it before I get a chance to ride it even?
I bought mine with 1150klms (600+miles), so there was NO warranty.
I was thinking I could have some fun with it before I needed to start wrenching on it:mad:

·
Registered
463 Posts
My case did not split but the car wouldnt even roll. I had to get drug back to a trailhead by a RZR. If we were going any faster we would have slid off the trail and off a cliff, we were feet away.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good tech article!
Hasn't A.C. addressed this obvious engineering problem? If so does my 2010 XTX have an upgrade or do I have to attack it before I get a chance to ride it even?
I bought mine with 1150klms (600+miles), so there was NO warranty.
I was thinking I could have some fun with it before I needed to start wrenching on it:mad:
there is no upgrade from cat,what you see in the picts is what you have.i did my xtz as soon as i got it home from the dealer!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Don I think mine has busted again.....
It pop's and clunks when in Diff Lock and loaded hard...

What do you think should I pop it out and pull it apart?
Or pop the diff out and go to your house with it and a half rack?
Suppose I just have to grind off where you welded it to the carrier and inspect?

4 wheel works good until loaded real hard and even more noisy when in diff lock..

Whatcha thinkin...... Do I still have extended warrenty?
sorry to hear john,i doubt there any such thing as extended warr.if there was it would be for the pin coming out,but with that cover installed that didnt happen.sounds like you may have broken the side gear.you could take it apart and the loose tooth sound be rattling around in there.if so at least all you havta buy is the carrier assy and possibly some shims.i do have more of that sheet metal tho if you need some.those picts were of ryans front diff i did wed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
team arctic do you have the tool to remove the pinion nut.if so where did you get it?
i do have one,i had my dealer order it for me,part#0444-104 also order a new nut!if/when you have it apart down to the nut,you will see where it has been "staked"(punched).you need to use dremel or similar and grind that out before you try and remove the nut.if you dont your almost 100%gunna strip the threads out of the case!also,the front diff has right hand threads and the rear diffs are lefthanded.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've got a new nut coming along with the big side case and pinion bearings. I saw that punched hole in the nut and thought it was just another thing damaged when the pin came out so I ordered a new one. Oh well!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts