Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like an Axle Seal on my front Diff is leaking. Has anyone replaced one? any tricks or advise would be appreciated, Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Pretty straight forward, Remove the wheel, and hub, brake line can stay connected. Axle nut is torqued to 200 ft. lbs. I remove the knuckle from the lower control arm, and rotate it up. Once axle is out of the knuckle a sharp tug on the axle should allow it to come out. pry the old seal out, clean the surface area, and install the new one. See if you can borrow a seal installer kit, makes for a much better job, and prevents any distortion of the seal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds too easy to be true! Thanks.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
It is not a bad job! If you have the newer style axles (identified by a white color body on the inner CV Joint), you will need to depress the axle fully into the CV joint, and then while depressed pull the CV Joint out of the differential. When you order the seal, order the cir-clips that hold the axle in as they get weak with age. They are all that olds the axle in the differential!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Did this on my HDX about a year ago. Not a bad job, really. Just have to get a lot of stuff out of the way. Getting the axles out was the worst part for me (got those fancy push/pull axles).

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I got an el cheapo slide hammer from Harbor Freight. I hose clamped the adapter to the inner CV Joint, depress the axle then I hit the Slide hammer, eeven with the pressure pushing the axle in the sharp tap of the hammer unseats the axle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the skid plates, cleaned everything to inspect the leak. I couldn't confirm where it was coming from exactly, so I topped off the diff oil and went for a short ride. I parked it overnight and it didn't leak? I have seen small drops of oil on my floor twice before. I know that leaks don't fix themselves, wondering if adding oil conditioned the seal?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I pulled the skid plates, cleaned everything to inspect the leak. I couldn't confirm where it was coming from exactly, so I topped off the diff oil and went for a short ride. I parked it overnight and it didn't leak? I have seen small drops of oil on my floor twice before. I know that leaks don't fix themselves, wondering if adding oil conditioned the seal?
Well, mine leaked, too. I replaced the seals, but that didn't fix it. Sooooooo, instead of taking the diff apart to check the 0-ring, I added this stuff and that cleared it right up. Hasn't leaked since.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ron, Think I will add some. Do you run synthetic or just plain 80/90w in your diffs?

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I'm sold on the synthetics! I'm using the 90/140 Hi Load in mine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm sold on the synthetics! I'm using the 90/140 Hi Load in mine.
Me, too. Ran a 75/90 synthetic. I was worried it would leak after I changed it, but so far, so good.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
The only leak I had was when the right front axle came out of the diff. hard to tell it was out, but once I grabbed it I could move it in and out. Cir-clip was weak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts