Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to rebuild my front diff over the winter and havent had a chance to put alot of miles on it (maybe 100 or so) it's already getting noisy. I jacked it up and ran it in 4wd and the front diff roared louder with speed. When I rebuilt it took a pretty thick case side shim to get it to spin freely by hand when the cover was bolted on. I'm wondering now if I should have put a thinner one in meshing the gears tighter and not worried about how easy the pinion turned by hand. I put a one size thinner shim in today and the gear noise is still loud. Should I use some of that gear paint to see how the teeth are meshing? Will it work on straight cut gears? I used my original cover but had to replace the case, so what shim should I have started with on the case side? The book says a 1.3-1.4 but I couldn't turn the gears by hand once the cover was bolted on.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't really have to use the gear paint. Any old spray paint will work for you as long as you clean the gears good enough for the paint to stick. I am thinking it is too loose if it is getting louder?
I guess I need to go even thinner on tha case side shim then order a thicker sidecover shim. But like I said when I go thinner on the bottom shim it makes the gears verry hard to turn by hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts