Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the relays freezing up in the cold.
Last week it was around 10-15˚f above here and My HDX started up just fine and worked flawlessly. Today it is around 0 to -5˚f and when I turned the key on nothing happened. If I tried to start it the display would light up but so did every character on it. It would only turn over if I stepped on the brake but would never fire. After a bit investigation I ended up opening up the fuse box, under the seat, and used a heat gun to warm up the relays. After a minute or two I turned the key on and everything was normal and it fired right up.
I had a similar thing happen to my Yamaha Apex, back in '06, and they replaced the ignition relay under warranty. Never had a problem after that. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there different relays that aren't as affected by the cold?

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Good to know. Not sure on replacement relays, but finding a non factory replacement should be possible.Try Bosch on the web.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm goingto try that next time,because the prowlers certainly have starting issues when its cold.I know the Yamaha starts easier so perhaps they changed the relay

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Never would have thought of something like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have never thought of it either if it had not been for awesome forums like this one. I was really active on the TY4Stroke forum, for the snowmobiles, and learned a ton of stuff (including the relay trick). It was really nice to have some of that help out in this world too.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
definitely something the snow plow guys should put in the memory file ... lots of snow gets in where it can do this also. ... packs in and melts into areas that have electrical applications and of course refreezes GO FIGURE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts