Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2010 Prowler XTX that I just bought used. The fuel gauge isn't working at all on it. I read a forum post that talked about the sending unit getting gunked up, but that seemed to be where it wasn't reading correctly. On mine, the level indicator on the speedo cluster doesn't show at all; in fact, I was wondering if this unit didn't have a fuel level gauge, except the manual shows it as part of the speedo unit. Any ideas? The speedo, miles, hours/time, and gear indications all work on the gauge, just not the fuel level (right side of LCD is just blank). Is a replacement instrument cluster in order or is it something else?

·
Administrator
7,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great machine the XTX! I'm somewhat jaded as I have a 2009 XTX! You should get a free service manual at County Cat. I'm thinking your fuel level sending unit needs repaired/replaced. The cluster if at fault is a fairly costly repair. For used parts look at POWERSPORTSNATION on the internet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Great machine the XTX! I'm somewhat jaded as I have a 2009 XTX! You should get a free service manual at County Cat. I'm thinking your fuel level sending unit needs repaired/replaced. The cluster if at fault is a fairly costly repair. For used parts look at POWERSPORTSNATION on the internet.
Thanks for the feedback, Fairmont! Well, a few things have developed. I was having a hard start when warm issue, and thanks to tips on this forum, I adjusted the valves and it has gone away. Great!! However, my gauge issue has worsened. Now, the gauge only lights up. No indicators are displayed, the needle doesn't sweep at startup, etc. The needle is pinned right about 5 (mph/rpm, i.e. not at 0). I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new gauge cluster; just received it, plugged it in and....no change. The new gauge lights up, needle doesn't move nor show any indicators (mileage, gear position, fuel, etc).

So, any ideas now where to look? Do I replace another expensive part like ECU ;)? BTW if anyone wants a new gauge cluster PM me...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since the problem has gotten worse and not isolated to the fuel sender, I would start looking at the wiring harness. First thing to check and easy is the grounds.

Wiring diagram can be view at countrycat.com under technical (top left)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the problem has gotten worse and not isolated to the fuel sender, I would start looking at the wiring harness. First thing to check and easy is the grounds.

Wiring diagram can be view at countrycat.com under technical (top left)
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I checked the wiring schematic and it looks like there's 4 grounds: battery #18, thru the starter #19, at the ignition coil #13, and the engine ground #20. I should be able to check the first 3 pretty easily, anyone know where the last one is located?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts