Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hi this may sound stupid but what type of gear oil should I put in my 2006 prowler 650 xt and now much should go into it....thanks
Are you talking about the motor oil or the front and rear differential grease.If your talking about the motor oil, mine is a 2006 650 and it takes 2.6 quarts and you check it by just sticking the dip stick in the fill hole don't thread the dip stick in when checking and make sure you use oil that is for wet clutch.If your talking about your front and rear differential,fill it with 80/90 gear oil and leave 1'' below fill hole.

·
Administrator
7,254 Posts
Same amount with my 2009 700 XTX, manual calls for 2.0 quarts, but full capacity is 2 qts. 6 oz. that includes filter and oil cooler. Front dif is 8.6 oz, rear diff is 9.3 oz but if you add that amount you will be over full, go with de3's recommendation of 1 inch below fill

·
Registered
282 Posts
make sure the 80-90 is Hypoid.

For my 2008 xtx the service manual says one inch below in front and level in the back. Also it is good practice not to measure out the exact amount because you will have some old gear oil left in there when you drain it out. Have read that you can put a small amount of diesel in it, run it around for a very short period and drain again to get all the old gear oil out.

I have a white ziptie i bent at 2 inch with a mark at 1 inch. works ok.

Also would be good practice to test level after a short ride.

My 2006 wheeler has three holes a fill, check, and drain. Not sure why that didnt make it to the prowlers but sure is nice since the hole is right at 1 inch below fill hole.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
make sure the 80-90 is Hypoid.

For my 2008 xtx the service manual says one inch below in front and level in the back. Also it is good practice not to measure out the exact amount because you will have some old gear oil left in there when you drain it out. Have read that you can put a small amount of diesel in it, run it around for a very short period and drain again to get all the old gear oil out.

I have a white ziptie i bent at 2 inch with a mark at 1 inch. works ok.

Also would be good practice to test level after a short ride.

My 2006 wheeler has three holes a fill, check, and drain. Not sure why that didnt make it to the prowlers but sure is nice since the hole is right at 1 inch below fill hole.
Yes you are correct on the hypoid.I blew the rear bellow when it was even with the fill hole.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What is hypoid? I just used some 80/90 semi synthetic stuff from Walmart. No issues that I know of.

·
Registered
282 Posts
hypoid is just short for bevel gear oil, usually has a GL 4/5 rating has additives that help with extreme pressure created by the slipping gears.

Not sure how that compares to semi synthetic although I think there both blends. I always thought semi synthetic was just cheap synthetic.

I have been trying Napa's Hypoid in my wheeler cause its cheap but have not had a good ride with it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts