Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm kinda new at this ATV/UTV stuff, but have had a 2010 XTX for almost 2 weeks now, and enjoying it perhaps a bit too much :)

I've seen a few people mention 'carry bag'. Mine currently has an AMA mountain kit (water, flares, matches, candles, flashlight, etc), and I also have a tow rope, an old jacket, some energy bars, and a few tools and duct tape don't laugh (too hard) - it can be a lifesaver if you stuck in the bush overnight.

How about you guys? Anything special that goes out with you?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Recovery rope,tools,small shovel,butane cook stove,H2o, Jerky, small pot, small skillet, BBQ lighter, hatchet, woodsman knife, fully charged cell phone (with maps and gps)......and beer!! Never know when you may roll up on a party!! LOL :D
My friends don't call it the "Chuck Wagon" for no reason! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i never leave for a big ride with out my supply bag,it contains tire plugs ,fix a flat,small compressor 12 volt,tools,zip ties,duct tape,tow rope,rain suit,little bit of food,stanley battery pack,flash light,gloves,i know i am missing something...............cooler with a lot of beer,little bit of soft drinks,and a lot of water,got to be ready for anything.................

·
Registered
412 Posts
I carry just about everything these guys mentioned plus a snatch block and tree choker! A couple months ago some friends and I went on a ride. We were about 5mi down a trail when I felt my back right side hit the ground. I went back there and my wheel hub completely came off! I just had my wheel bearings replaced a week before and apparently they forgot to torque my hub nut. It sheered the cotter pin and destroyed the threads on both the nut and axle. Anyway, as a result I now carry a couple extra cotter pins and an extra hub nut. Also had a horrible time jacking it up so I now have and WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND a Highlift Jack!! These things are awesome! You can use it to jack your ride up from 6in to 40in, invert the clamps and use it as a spreader in case someone rolls bad and gets stuck in cage, or hook a tow rope to it and rachet/winch yourself out if your winch won't do the trick! Just three things I highly recommend.. Cotter Pins, Extra Hub Nut, Highlift Jack..Oh yeah since I didn't have this stuff it took us 7hrs to get out of there and was way after dark!!! I also recommend the Jump-Starter/Air Compressor Combo!

UTV Parts and Accessories.com -* Hi-Lift Jacks and Accessories

·
Registered
412 Posts
That things a lifesaver!!! I never leave home without it! Another good thing about it is if you are using a wrench on something, either in the woods or at home, the Jack Handle unclips and slides out so you can use it as a 30in cheater bar. I've stood on it and jumped up and down to loosen hub nuts before and it didn't bend in the least!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I always carry a spare spark plug and belt, cable ties, gorrila tape, lots of extra clothes, a few ratchet wrenches, a butane cook stove and a couple rolls of toilet paper. Some other gear is season/weather depending. I always have a couple or three changes of dry clothes.. I usually don't end up needing the dry warm clothes, its the people I ride with lol funny how my buddies just rely on me bringing all the extras now that I can carry so much. The butane stove is really nice because it takes up almost no room and its great for all day trips to cook up a quick meal for everybody. Usually beer steemed hot dogs :)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i have already have picked up a few new thoughts from this..........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I carry just about everything these guys mentioned plus a snatch block and tree choker! A couple months ago some friends and I went on a ride. We were about 5mi down a trail when I felt my back right side hit the ground. I went back there and my wheel hub completely came off! I just had my wheel bearings replaced a week before and apparently they forgot to torque my hub nut. It sheered the cotter pin and destroyed the threads on both the nut and axle. Anyway, as a result I now carry a couple extra cotter pins and an extra hub nut. Also had a horrible time jacking it up so I now have and WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND a Highlift Jack!! These things are awesome! You can use it to jack your ride up from 6in to 40in, invert the clamps and use it as a spreader in case someone rolls bad and gets stuck in cage, or hook a tow rope to it and rachet/winch yourself out if your winch won't do the trick! Just three things I highly recommend.. Cotter Pins, Extra Hub Nut, Highlift Jack..Oh yeah since I didn't have this stuff it took us 7hrs to get out of there and was way after dark!!! I also recommend the Jump-Starter/Air Compressor Combo!

The Hi-Lift jack looks exactly the same as the Jack All (now owned by Maasdam Tool Co) jack thats been used by every Canadian farmer I've known since I was old enough to know them. The handiest piece of kit on the farm. This link shows a bunch of their accessories, which would likely fit on the HiLift units? I can't post anything with a URL yet (I need a few more posts) but do a search on either Jackall Jack, or Maasdam highlift jack - some great accessories for attaching to chain, bending pipe, crash rescue, etc etc. Used by NATO and installed on pretty much every Canadian military vehicle, at least when I was still in (I'm old... :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Those jacks are very handy, you just have to be careful with them. if they lean over they can etheir take you out or your rad.. lol we used to have them on our trucks when I was a forest ranger then they took them all away because of a couple "mishaps"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Completely agree!!! I would definetely be more carefull if I were lifting a full size vehicle! It is pretty easy for it to tip if you are not setup straight. I always make sure it's leaning away from me that way if it does fall it damages the Cat and not me!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
just cold beer and a VERY loooonnnggggg tow rope :D nothing worse than having your buddy grudge tow you back to camp on a short string , <<<<voice of experience
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
supplys

outwest had a good idea on supplys if you dont have a small compressor, you can also use the co2 cartridges that you can buy at walmart,i rember last summer someone had a flat and got there compressor out and it didnt work.lucky someone had some fix a flat.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
outwest had a good idea on supplys if you dont have a small compressor, you can also use the co2 cartridges that you can buy at walmart,i rember last summer someone had a flat and got there compressor out and it didnt work.lucky someone had some fix a flat.
This is the style of Co2 unit you want. It will work with both the threaded and non threaded CO2 cartridges. The non-threaded cartridges like used in the BB-guns are really cheap compared to the threaded ones. That is why I say get this style of unit, otherwise you will be overpaying for the threaded only cartridges. With this, some BB gun CO2 cartridges, and a plug kit works well to fix a tire out in the field and doesn't take up much space.

Genuine Innovations CO2 Tire Inflator: Automotive : Walmart.com

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is the style of Co2 unit you want. It will work with both the threaded and non threaded CO2 cartridges. The non-threaded cartridges like used in the BB-guns are really cheap compared to the threaded ones. That is why I say get this style of unit, otherwise you will be overpaying for the threaded only cartridges. With this, some BB gun CO2 cartridges, and a plug kit works well to fix a tire out in the field and doesn't take up much space.

Genuine Innovations CO2 Tire Inflator: Automotive : Walmart.com
DO NOT get this Genuine Innovations C02 tire inflator. I picked one up at Walmart today for $11 and was pretty psyched about the deal. Only to come and find out that this unit takes fatter 16 gram cartridges. The standard cheap BB gun cartridges are thinner 12 grams. They do not work well in this unit. I tested the fit in both my old unit and this one. The 16 gram cartridge wouldn't even fit in my old unit, as the CO2 cartridge was too fat. But the 12 gram BB gun fits perfectly in it. The 12 gram cartridge fits too loose in this new Genuine Innovations unit. So I would not recommend it. I would shop around for a unit which specifically states that it accepts the 12 gram unthreaded CO2 cartridges so you can get them cheap. Sorry for misleading everyone and recommending it. I was not aware. I will be returning it and shopping for a different one.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
DO NOT get this Genuine Innovations C02 tire inflator. I picked one up at Walmart today for $11 and was pretty psyched about the deal. Only to come and find out that this unit takes fatter 16 gram cartridges. The standard cheap BB gun cartridges are thinner 12 grams. They do not work well in this unit. I tested the fit in both my old unit and this one. The 16 gram cartridge wouldn't even fit in my old unit, as the CO2 cartridge was too fat. But the 12 gram BB gun fits perfectly in it. The 12 gram cartridge fits too loose in this new Genuine Innovations unit. So I would not recommend it. I would shop around for a unit which specifically states that it accepts the 12 gram unthreaded CO2 cartridges so you can get them cheap. Sorry for misleading everyone and recommending it. I was not aware. I will be returning it and shopping for a different one.
I was doing some searching online and I came across this little trick that makes the 12 gram CO2 cartridges work with these Genuine Innovations units. The trick is you put a penny at the bottom of the tube and then put your 12 gram cartridge on and screw it into the head. It actually works as I tested it this morning. With the penny in there it helps the 12 gram seat all the way. So just some info for you.

·
Registered
74 Posts

UTV Parts and Accessories.com -* Hi-Lift Jacks and Accessories
Just had a similar experience but in a couple of feet of snow... so the above recommended tools and equipment will be going in my Prowlet too!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts