Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive got about 300 miles on the prowler, and so far I have changed the oil after 100miles but I was curious as to what the major things I need to keep an eye on are.

It is my understanding that there are 3 air filters? Oiled and non oiled? What type of intervals are you guys running?

Or is everyone sticking to the maintenance guide intervals?

·
Registered
463 Posts
add a slip on exhaust that is what I did at 150mi. lol it realy opened it up

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Socal,
There is an oiled air filter in the filter box under the engine shroud and then there is a pre-filter located behind the drivers seat. Just remove the little access panel labeled filter behind the seat. That filter is not an oiled unit. Just blow it out.
Don't use gasoline or hot water for cleaning your filters, those will cause the pores in the filter to expand and will allow fine silt dust through. Instead, use a good filter cleaner from either AC, Bel-Ray, PJ1 or such. Then re-coat it with filter oil, not motor oil.

Intervals depends on your riding conditions. Riding in low dust environments will require less filter cleaning than if you ride in extremely dusty conditions. When I ride for a couple days out in the desert, I usually will carry an extra oiled filter in a ziplock bag so I can change it out and not have to worry about cleaning it till I get home.
You do need to check your filter each day when you go out to ride or every 8 hours or so ( 4 hours if really dusty).
Since my machine has lowered seats and the mid-roll cage v support has been removed, I've rotated my air inlet and the pre0filter to a straight up position. That way the air inlet is riding up higher, in cleaner and fresher air.
Look at the photo, in between the driver's and passenger's seats. You can see the pre-filter sticking up in front of the spare tire.

As for oil changes, follow your owners manual, but if you ride in extremely dusty conditions or race your machine, more frequent changes are a good idea. Run synthetic oil as that is what your machine came with, it does a great job of taking care of your engine.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a XTZ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So Ive got about 300 miles on the prowler, and so far I have changed the oil after 100miles but I was curious as to what the major things I need to keep an eye on are.

It is my understanding that there are 3 air filters? Oiled and non oiled? What type of intervals are you guys running?

Or is everyone sticking to the maintenance guide intervals?
Some other things you might want to look at too, I pulled apart every electrical plug/connector on my unit and installed die-electric grease in them. I also visually inspected all the battery leads and winch leads and found most of them had exposed wire where the lugs/cable ends had been crimped on, so I installed heat shrink tubing on all of them (I use the heat shrink that has the sealant/glue inside, when you heat and shrink it on, the glue comes out of each end, letting you know you have a good seal), I also sprayed the battery terminals with an anti-corrosive sealant. I also inspected how all the wiring was run around the frame and changed some of it to better protect the wiring, totally changed the wiring routing for the winch, installed heat shrink on the cable ends and anti-corrosion spray as well.
I have always done this on all my quads, motorcycles and vehicles, with great success, experiencing only the most minor and minimal electrical issues.
This is part of my PM program. Hope this helps somebody!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
How do you feel about coming out to AZ for a week or two?
Some other things you might want to look at too, I pulled apart every electrical plug/connector on my unit and installed die-electric grease in them. I also visually inspected all the battery leads and winch leads and found most of them had exposed wire where the lugs/cable ends had been crimped on, so I installed heat shrink tubing on all of them (I use the heat shrink that has the sealant/glue inside, when you heat and shrink it on, the glue comes out of each end, letting you know you have a good seal), I also sprayed the battery terminals with an anti-corrosive sealant. I also inspected how all the wiring was run around the frame and changed some of it to better protect the wiring, totally changed the wiring routing for the winch, installed heat shrink on the cable ends and anti-corrosion spray as well.
I have always done this on all my quads, motorcycles and vehicles, with great success, experiencing only the most minor and minimal electrical issues.
This is part of my PM program. Hope this helps somebody!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
131 Posts
How do you feel about coming out to AZ for a week or two?
Truth be told, I have wanted to take a motorcycle trip down that way for a while now....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hard to beat AZ in the winter.
I know, but it's a terrible time to try and ride my motorcycle down there from here!!
In the summer, it's too damn hot down there for me! DOH!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good info Hammer, every little bit helps when you out there.
Lots of times people don't think of these kind of things until they have a problem. It's just soooo much nicer to do this stuff when everything is new..........and clean! LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
No kidding,
I will box my kitty up and send it to you. Could you wash and wax her too.
No problem....although you may not like the odometer reading when (if) you get it back!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Give your tires a good visual inspection (all surfaces - especially the inside sidewall) for punctures, screws, bolts, thorns, glass, etc. and check your lug nuts for proper torque (44 lbs on OEM wheels).

Darryl - I like your XTZ - Very nice!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ive had my LTR450 and some bikes, but this is my first cvt vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts