Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Prowler, runs great but now has gear grinding noise when letting off of gas at low speed in reverse and low range, have never heard it in high range. Does anyone have any thoughts to what is going on?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome TNPROWLER!! Just curious as to where are you all from? and How long have you owned your prowler?

Where does it seem to come from? Engine/tranny? or diffs? Can you tell left or right side? Is it only when moving? No hint of such sound when idling or revving the engine in neutral? I just had my one way bearing fail and that can cause noise like that, or so I've heard. Mine was a different sound than that.....but........ Brakes worn past pads and grabbing rotors?? Just throwing things out there......

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome TNProwler! This is the best place for Prowler owners by far! Could be the emergency brake you are hearing. This has been a common complaint on the Prowlers with the parking brake located on the rear driveshaft. First time I heard mine I thought the world was ending! LOL Transmission bevel gear is in common use in High, Low, and Reverse so any noise grinding in any gear would be present in all. The gears on the Prowler are either fully engaged, or not at all. Shifting between gears may cause grinding if not fully stopped, or RPM is to high. All things to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar problem

Did you figure out what the problem was? I have a similar problem that is getting worse.

Have a 2007 650 Prowler. It has been running great but when I step on the brake pedal for about a second it make a horrible grinding sound and then the brakes kick in and everything is fine. Noise seems to be coming from under me. I first noticed it about 100 miles ago it would do it occasionally, but this last outing it has been doing it almost every time. The emergency brake pads look ok. It does it at any speed...even if just barely moving. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
This is a common issue, and while no harm is done to the machine it is a pain in the butt! Several things to look at, 1) Anti rattle springs on the caliper are weak, or missing. Some members have added a rubber cushion. 2) The disc may be warped and may need replaced 3) Some have converted to 4 wheel brakes and eliminated the parking brake. One member "DE3"came up with a nifty parking brake solution after converting to disc brakes that is worth looking at! 4) My solution is to live with it! LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in West Tennessee, I have had the the Prowler for about 4 years. It has ran great up to this point. I haven't been able to pin point where the sound is coming from yet, but it sounds like if you don't have it fully engaged in gear and the grind that happens there. It sounds like a gears grinding but only when letting off the throttle in low range and reverse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in West Tennessee and have had the Prowler for about 4 years. I don't have to have the brake depressed for the grinding sound to happen just let off the throttle at low speed in either reverse or low range.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
With that being said, I'd pull the one way bearing out. Sounds like it is failing. You don't really need the one way bearing, many have taken their's off. Download a free service manual at K&T Lawn Equipment, or Country Cat. Or check in the Frequently asked questions on this forum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You got some hills in TN but I still would try the Prowler without the one way bearing. You don't lose all engine breaking, just at low speeds. Using low range on hill descendants would provide some engine braking too.

If you don't like it with out you can just put a new one in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree on the one way bearing removal. As of yet I do not even notice that I took mine out. Not gonna put one back in to have it pile up again!!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
you didn't say if his a single or twin .... in the case of a twin the deceleration loss is hardly noticeable do to the second cylinder piston pressure helping the slowing. much more noticeable in a single but as reported here still not bad.

please fill in tour location and also your signature lines ... we won't have to ask questions to answer a question

ON EDIT you did say 2006 so that was before the twin was introduced sorry

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I noticed a slight decrease in engine braking, and free wheeling below 10mph. We ride several hilly areas, and have used the brakes a little more but still not bad! I'll never put it back in!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tnprowler grinding noise

Thanks guys, I will pull the one bearing first and let y'all know how it turns out. Are there any videos or instructions out there? I have the print, looks pretty straight forward. Didn't know if there is anything to look out for?

Rob

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Drain the oil and do it! The inner and outer gaskets can be reused if you are careful, the dowel pins have a tendency to drop out so keep track of them (4), the outer cover bolts are different than the inner cover so keep them separated for the re-install. One Way bearing is a 85 dollar part that is prone to fail! LOL Let us know your thoughts when it's done!

·
Registered
237 Posts
You will also need some RTV to put back together. When the inner clutch goes back on the service manual tells you to RTV the points of contact. I used a blue RTV. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe I should clarify.....there are 2 gaskets. The outer clutch cover and then the wet clutch cover both have gaskets. The inner cover of the centrifugal clutch bolts onto the wet clutch cover and where the driven shaft emerges from the transmission.......this is where the RTV is used.

EDIT......Never mind.....the 2006 650 is different than my XTZ. No RTV needed. Only gaskets to save. .......oops!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it worked, the grinding noise is gone. I appreciate y'alls help. One other question, I noticed noise while on the test run, only while braking I swear it sounded like it was coming from the disc brake on the drive shaft...does it activate when the brakes are applied as well?

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Yes it does. Glad that the one way bearing removal fixed it. I have to tear into mine one of these days.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's always nice when a repair doesn't cost you anything.....and......you end up with a conversational paper weight!! :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts