Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin to get a little more clearence where I hunt it's pretty rocky and I keep bottoming out not hard just enough to make ya cringe so I'm lookin for snow tires for the winter so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone I need at least inch but 2 would work better I have the HDX what size y'all reccomend or how big can I go without having to modify anything. Thanks

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well to get 2" you need to go 4" bigger as only half is on the bottom.

I'm not familiar enough with the HDX to know how big you can go though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was able to go with a 28" tire without a lift. I've got about 13.5 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I think part of prob may be longer wheelbase of the hdx now I just gotta decide which tires thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first utv but so far been pretty happy. The power steering is awesome and like the adjustable shocks in rear. Never owned anything with EFI mostly been a Honda guy so this past week it was below 20deg and was amazed how well it started and ran. The soft cab have not been happy with at all so got deluxe hard cab comming but AC keeps pushing back date. Stock tires pretty weak but think they all are. Power seems to be really good and am lookin to sound proof some it's gotta lot cab noise. Rides great not sure on handling haven't had it trail riding yet just been huntin with it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
you might try replacing the shock springs to get better GC .. I put 350 lb springs [bought from Summit or Jegs, got mine at Summit] .. got 13.5 under the skid plate now and also went with Pit Bull Rocker Uber tires 26.5" so got better weight capacity and got rid of factory spring sag + GC for under $100 with IMHO the spring change was well worth it

sometime during the snow / winter will be putting on the take off rear springs on the front and get a better weight /height issue there also

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The weight varies I was pulling are trailer full of huntin stuff so put some in but before that I had them really soft u can def tell diff in ride. I thought the hdx already had stiffer springs but will have to check and yes only in the rear are the fox shocks. Only got 250 miles on it and haven't played with shocks much I really like how big the rear box is.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
if you run loaded then for sure look at the springs .... however with that said I don't know anything about the fox shocks you have ... air adjustable ?? or clicker ?? BUT still I doubt you have enough spring with weight added by camp/utility trailer plus loaded box

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Duke, you might want to look at the 28x10R14 ITP BajaCross 8ply tires for your HDX. They are new to the market in that size, but are a tried and true HD design and build. And right now, many of the warehouses have specials running on them.

ITP and MTA Distributing are setting me up with a set of the new 28's to run on my race car. It'll be interesting to see how they handle. Being a bit taller sidewall, they should ride better than the 26's, but still carry the 8 ply carcass for durability and flat protection.

Also, going to a larger diameter tire will mean you lose some of the effective gearing that a smaller tire brings, so you may need to look at installing a clutch kit with lighter rollers or drilling your existing rollers as Airdam has talked about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The HDX has 26X10R14 on the front, and 26X12R14 on the back by Duro. I just cut a front tire and it needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend tougher replacements?

·
Registered
192 Posts
big horns are no better, still has a 6 ply rating and side bite sucks on them. several companys make 8 ply tires, running heavy you need 8 ply. Pitbull makes some aggressive treads but there are several brands to choose from. stick with 8 ply or invest in a nice pump and buy a lot of large plugs.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
big horns are no better, still has a 6 ply rating and side bite sucks on them. several companys make 8 ply tires, running heavy you need 8 ply. Pitbull makes some aggressive treads but there are several brands to choose from. stick with 8 ply or invest in a nice pump and buy a lot of large plugs.
Iv had Great luck with Big Horn 2.0s against Cactus and Rocks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts