Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while riding on gravel hardpack I noticed that the back end on my Prowler sways and requires steering input to keep it straight. I upgraded to BigHorn tires, I think this is another issue with the turf saver. It only does it when I'm hard on the gas. I think it is sensing wheel traction, and loading and unloading the rear as the tires lose grip. Has anybody else encountered this? Thanks RD

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I seem to notice it when going 40-45 on gravel and yea maybe I shouldn't be doing that. On pavement no problem, I'm running Sedona Rip Saws and when new they had 1 1/8" tread.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Recently while riding on gravel hardpack I noticed that the back end on my Prowler sways and requires steering input to keep it straight. I upgraded to BigHorn tires, I think this is another issue with the turf saver. It only does it when I'm hard on the gas. I think it is sensing wheel traction, and loading and unloading the rear as the tires lose grip. Has anybody else encountered this? Thanks RD
RD let up on the go pedal LOL.could very well be the turf saver, at 40 mph on gravel I sure it's gonna slide a little bit.:D

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
you can also try to stiffen the rear shocks a little,,i noticed when your on the gas ,the back end squats a little more and transfers the weight to the rear and making the front lighter

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have been debating on the tightening up the rear springs on my xtz for the same reason. The sportier shocks still give way to much in my opinion. And if I tighten up the springs will it increase my ground clearance?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have been debating on the tightening up the rear springs on my xtz for the same reason. The sportier shocks still give way to much in my opinion. And if I tighten up the springs will it increase my ground clearance?
Yea it will give you more ground clearance,sounds like you need to do that if you have body roll...........looks like we need to go shock hunting.LOL:D:D It's just the hit of a button.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, just what I needed! I have not played with the shocks yet on the rear, but I did stiffen the front for the snowplow, and forgot to soften it after taking the plow off!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yea it will give you more ground clearance,sounds like you need to do that if you have body roll...........looks like we need to go shock hunting.LOL:D:D It's just the hit of a button.
My pockets aren't that deep. I'll have to wait... :( but your right it doesn't hurt to look!!!

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I got sticker shock when I started looking at suspension pieces! Stock replacement prices are unreal! No cheap way out on this!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My pockets aren't that deep. I'll have to wait... :( but your right it doesn't hurt to look!!!
Just kidding,Just buying the new xtz would do me in,Yea just stiffen your rear shocks up,looks like decent shocks on it from factory.when I had the factory shocks on the front it would push really bad in the corners.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
350 lb. rear springs helped my stock XTZ a big bunch.

then put the original rears springs to the front .. overall a much better set up for my needs and a full 13" ground clearance now.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
350 lb. rear springs helped my stock XTZ a big bunch.

then put the original rears springs to the front .. overall a much better set up for my needs and a full 13" ground clearance now.
Gary you haul a lot of weight in yours don't you.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'm sure you mean other than my lard azz LOL

got about 60 lbs. of recovery gear + plus shovel ,chain saw, ax and couple of dry boxes regularly , then the occasional fire wood for camp and a once in a while some chains or HD pull straps for getting wood where ya can cut n stack convenient [sp?] to the truck or trailer or A/C to haul to camp.
Jake takes a ride on occasion too [Jake my Border Collie] :)

BUT I want to be able to do what I want and not have to worry about a few extra pounds added once in a while.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
My Prowler is only a 2 seater and I run 400lb rear springs and it actually rides and handles better with them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where can I find heavier springs?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Call summit Racing and tell them the diameter and height and pound rating spring you are looking for.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Call summit Racing and tell them the diameter and height and pound rating spring you are looking for.
Okay thanks, ill keep that in mind if I decide to go that route. With me having the rumble seat I'm often carrying roughly 5/600lbs of people plus coolers and other gear.

·
Registered
733 Posts
RD, make sure to check your rear wheel bearings. the swaying can be an early warning that your rear wheel bearings are starting to go. mine were bad this spring and it became really apparent when I rode a short section of pavement in between trails. I ignored it on mine and thought it was a suspension setup thing then my rear tire passed me shortly after ... :rolleyes:
easy way to check them is to prop up the rear end of your machine and grab right on to the tire and check it for excessive movement or play. wiggle it side to side as well as in and out. just to be on the safe side,
Mitch

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mitch, I'm working on the Prowler now, so I'll add that to the list! Getting ready to hit the trails for then 4th! The following week we are headed to Drummond Island for about a week. Upper Michigan has plenty of riding opportunities!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts