Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 700 xtx has started giving me problems, at first I thought it was the plug. I went to start it after running it for a few minutes and no go. I pulled the plastic out and got to the motor, check plug, there was a spark, but not what I thought was bright enough so I put a new plug in her, cranked it for a long time and away she went. It then sat for a couple weeks, the kids used it a few times to pull each other around in the snow, they got it stuck, when they tried to get it out a few days later, it just cranked until the battery was dead. It then sat out in the back for about a month, they tried jumping it and still no start. Yesterday the snow was melted enough for me to go drag it up to the house, I put it on a 20amp charge (set to AUTO), over night, this morning it did finally start, but it only idled for about 2 minutes and stalled, now it won't freakin start again!
Talking to the kids, they say that it did start for them out back but did the same thing, ran for a short time then stalled and wouldn't restart!
What's up? :confused:
Thanks Guy's

·
Registered
282 Posts
sounds like the ol frozen battery, I have been through a few myself, enough volt to start it but not enough to run it, you should hook up another battery (car) and test it out, see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like the ol frozen battery, I have been through a few myself, enough volt to start it but not enough to run it, you should hook up another battery (car) and test it out, see what happens.
Thing is, it cranks over like crazy, would it do that with a bad battery?
I did notice on this last try, about an hour ago, that the starter seemed to jamb, but I turned the key back, hit it again, and away it cranked. But still no FIRE.

·
Registered
282 Posts
your right doesn't sound like the battery, not to mention it would prob read VOLT on your gauge. Not sure how it works on the prowler, but on sleds we always dropped some fuel in the cylinder(very small amounts, like a few dropps), tighten the plug down before it evaporates and cranked it over to see if it is a fuel issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info;
When I turn the key to the on position, i can hear what I assume is an Electric Fuel pump running for a few seconds, as well as the digital cluster is doing some sort of a reset. By that I mean it shows different functions and the Tack/speedo needle bounces around a bit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue. Might have water in your fuel. Try putting some fuel conditioner in your tank, or even drain it, the put done premium in.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds like water in the fuel to me too, I'd drain all the fuel out of it and fill it up with some fresh stuff.. also, check your air filter it might be jammed up.. as far as the starter seeming to jam up, it seems to be common with the 700's I have a 2010 xtx and it does it too.. In my opinion its the the starter not being able to turn the engine over when its trying to start in the top dead centre position. if you just let off the key and try again it'll fire right up.. these engines run some pretty high compression and I always say as long as its doing it every once in a while it's still got good compression! it's like a tester.. lol I don't let it bother me.. it'll bother me when it stops doing it! lol good luck, let us know if you get it fired up..

·
Registered
282 Posts
, they got it stuck, when they tried to get it out a few days later, it just cranked until the battery was dead. It then sat out in the back for about a month, they tried jumping it and still no start. Yesterday the snow was melted enough for me to go drag it up to the house, I put it on a 20amp charge (set to AUTO), over night, this morning it did finally start, but it only idled for about 2 minutes and stalled, now it won't freakin start again!
Im going back to my frozen battery on this. We have delt with them mostly on the ATV's, when the battery is toast it will not electric start and must have to be pull started. It will fire up and be able to run as long as your not using any accessories or drawing on the battery like the winch. The battery doesnt seem to be able to recover and just dies. I have seen the fac cat batteries freeze in a few days after its already been drained down from trying to turn it over. The batteries now get brought in the house and put on a maintainer.

I was thinking of putting a pull start on the prowler, had read a few threads on it, but decided to convert to a Odysse Yellow Top. Much better, no problems the last few months of winter.

To test the battery I put a car battery on the floor and use jumper cables on the fac battery. Hope you get it running

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So, as per everyones instruction:
1) Pulled plug, Black and oily, held it against head bolt, hit key, Spark!

2) Drain Gas, replaced inline filter,hit key flushed line, filled with high test plus gas line antifreeze!

3) Attached 55amp rapid charger, charged 30 minutes, Cranked,Cranked,Cranked,Cranked!

4) Recharged 30 minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes turned charger back on, removed air filter, cranked while injecting Propane in air intake, and away she went!

Rough idle and if you hold it at around 3000rpm there is a very noticable miss! :confused: :confused: :confused: :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UP DATE
Well, tried to start it this morning, Battery is at full charge.
Turned over very good, fired and then caught, stalled, refired, ran and stalled, cranked it over and over and over.Firing but won't catch!
I have been turning the key off after every failed attempt, I believe I had read somewhere that was what you were to do.
POS is starting to get to me. :( :mad:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If it has good spark there are only a few more things it could be. I mean you have good fresh fuel in it right?
1. Jumped time.
2. Low compression
3. Too little fuel
4. Too much fuel. You stated the plug was black and oily this could mean too much fuel like the injector is hanging open some. If you try and start it and hold it wide open till it fires is it easier to start?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As stated, I have put new fuel, but I wasn't aware that I could try starting it with the throttle down.
If as you say, it has jumped timing, how would I check for that?
Also how doe's one check for a stuck injector?
Thanks for your suggestions S.C. this is starting to Pee me off big time.
It only has about 1100 miles on it.

Well, I tried it with the throttle on the floor, 55amp charger attached, cranked until I thought it might overheat the starter and it didn't even fire!
I'll go back out when the rain slows down a little and pull the plug again. When I did that before, and cranked with the plug out, it started the next attempt.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You can do a wide open start. And it will start like that better if it is too rich because you are leaning out the mixture by holding it wide open.
Stuck injector can be checked by pulling the injector and with the fuel line still attached turn the key on. Does fuel dribble out? Does it spray out? It should not have any fuel coming out of it until you turn the key and crank. Unless it has a cold start quick little spray. But that should be it.
You can also check to see if the injector is working while it is out by cranking the engine over and watching the spray cycles coming out of the injector. It is better to pull the spark plug to do this. And defiantly be careful with the fuel spray.
To check if it has jumped time you have to pull the cam cover. And the little valve covers as they hide a bolt a piece under there to hold the cam cover down. And also there is a timing plug on the engine case on the passenger side to pull. And the spark plug should be pulled.
1. Put engine on top dead center. The easiest way is to pull the small cover on the passenger side of the engine. hit the key for a second just to verify which way you are gonna turn the small pulley under that small cover. Then put your finger in spark plug hole. Install big screw driver into pulley and turn slowly until you feel the piston starting to make compression on your finger that is in the spark plug hole. Then start watching through the inspection hole for the top dead center mark to come up. Then once you are there you can remove the cam cover. There are two straight lines at the end of the camshaft that you can see if you are standing on the drivers side. They should be lined up with the mating surface of the head and the cam cover. If they are you are in time. If not you are not in time. You should not be able to move the cam gear forward or backwards either. It should be able to not be moved with you fingers.
There has been a few of these that have jumped time in the past on here. Why I don't know. Maybe they where not right to begin with. But I never herd back from the people after we talked about how to fix em. So I am gonna assume they got them fixed. If it were me I would check to see if it starts easier by holding it wide open cause that will tell you if it could be injector or fuel related. If that does not make a difference I would check valve timing that I just went over.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would replace the plug and go from there.
While the plug is out crank the machine to get rid of excess fuel.
When she started after you removed the plug did you crank it b-4 re-installing the plug?
Does it foul again after new plug or good to go?
Dont think the injector would be stuck as it sounds like his pump only comes on for a few sec. then stays off. Correct?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The pump comes on to make initial fuel pressure to start then shuts off. However if there is pressure it could be just sitting there spraying or dribbling. The injector very well could have got stuck because of high moisture content in fuel sitting for some time. Like maybe through the winter or something similar. Very easy process of elimination. Just hold it wide open to start. If it fires better wide open. You have a overly rich condition more than likely.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Wouldnt the pump then come back on once pressure has been relived and the pump would be cycling.
I guess if it was a small leak it would not cycle often.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On #2 NGK CPR8E plug, it had a new one installed at the dealers and this one is the spare they put in the glove box, gap appears to be 33.
I tried the full throttle start, but it never fired.
The plugs are definately indicating an over rich mixture, they are Black and slimy wet.
I also noticed that the plugs are not jumping the spark from the electrode to the bent thingy, the spark starts shorting all around the center and jumping to the sides, it is the same with both "new plugs", is there another plug, maybe one heat range higher that you fellows could reccomend?
I see the injector, is there anything special to removing it, besides removing all the junk to get at it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If it is not jumping to the ground strap that is a problem.

The porclean could have gotten cracked bouncing around in your glove box.

Try a nice new plug is my recromendation.
A 7 would be hotter but it should run with the cpr8e

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it is not jumping to the ground strap that is a problem.

The porclean could have gotten cracked bouncing around in your glove box.

Try a nice new plug is my recromendation.
A 7 would be hotter but it should run with the cpr8e
:D ah yes Ground Strap, I knew that, must have had a tumour shift :D

Anything better than the NKGs?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts