Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 2008 arctic cat prowler 650 h1. If I leave it sit for a while it is incredibly hard to start and just as bad when it was cold. Dont know if i can buy a manual choke kit or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard Starting

I have a 2008 Prowler 650. It has trouble cranking to start. Its like the battery is almost dead. Then after several turns of the key it cranks enough to start. I have charged the battery. I'm not sure if the battery is bad or if theres something else that could be causing the problem. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Back to the main concern on this thread....

The fuel level does drop a little bit if left sitting too long. There is a primer on the carb though. Bit of a pain to access but hit the lever 4-5 times and it'll start up very easy.
No manual choke available that I am aware of.

I've heard of some people up north here rigging up a lever / primer of some sort for this. Never seen pics or examples of this though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have the same problem as described above and was thinking to see if I can install a "primer bulb" the outboard motors have. I did this on an inboard once and it worked great. Low tech, but effective. Just have to get the time to see where one can connect into the fuel supply line.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have the same problem as described above and was thinking to see if I can install a "primer bulb" the outboard motors have. I did this on an inboard once and it worked great. Low tech, but effective. Just have to get the time to see where one can connect into the fuel supply line.

I would persue this idea.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My old 650 was the same way. Here is how I started it and it always worked pretty well. This is if you don't want to pull the cover off to get to the primer.

Crank it over for 15-20 seconds, then shut the key off and turn back on letting the choke reset, crank it again. Usually started on this attempt (depending on just how many weeks it had been sitting) but if not repeat procedure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just arrived bck in Baja Sur, trailing the Arctic Cat. I installed a primer bulb used in line of small outboards. Cut the fuel delivering line just before the carburettor. It fits quite well inside the motor cowling on the passengers side, even though I insulated the cowling with soundproofing material.
If the unit has been sitting to long (normally would not easily start) I'll take the seats and cowling off, prime the carb. and start. My problems got solved. The removal of seats/cowling only takes a minute, this solution will work for the cost of about $10 the bulb costs. The bulb has also a built-in check valve, which may also help to keep the prime.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There should already be a primer lever on the carb (was on my 08). Not sure why you wouldn't just use that instead of installing a primer bulb

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
There should already be a primer lever on the carb (was on my 08). Not sure why you wouldn't just use that instead of installing a primer bulb
I agree if your gonna pull seats and doghouse I would just use primer on carb.I know with my new filter/check valve it can sit for a week and still fire right up,one of the best mods I have ever done.:)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I agree if your gonna pull seats and doghouse I would just use primer on carb.I know with my new filter/check valve it can sit for a week and still fire right up,one of the best mods I have ever done.:)
I thought the check valve wouldn't work properly with your aftermarket carb? I have a check valve on my stock carb now, but haven't been able to start my Prowler in a while.....:D Hopefully this week if I get the time to put everything back together.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Anyone have a link to the one that works on the stock carb?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Reactions: mlh1962
1 - 20 of 37 Posts