Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been listening to this rattle since the day i bought this thing and since im currently waiting for parts im doing some mods. i got a temp gauge installed and i cranked it up to warm it up and test it. while it was warming up i figured out where this annoying rattle is coming from. my front drive shaft! it sounds like brake pad rattle. i grab the drive shaft and the sound disappears. it isnt spinning of course but just the vibration from the motor can make it rattle. there are no u joints so my thoughts are to take it out and put grease on the splines but this may be a temporary fix. has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
hows that saying .. ignorance is a bliss LOL maybe hearing loss is a good thing :) and I don't hear all the things that rattle

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately its my eyes going but my hearing is still hanging in there ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
There should be a rubber snubber on each end of the driveshaft, that fits into both ends of it. If one is missing, it will do exactly what your are describing. They get the crap beaten out of them by the driveshaft compressing them and sooner or later, they just kinda disappear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well this has me puzzled. looking at the 2012 parts diagram it does not have the rubber bumper. i pulled up a 2009 xtx parts diagram and it does have the bumper. i wonder why they went away from it? also i wonder if i can squeeze one in the 2012?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Yep, #5 is the beast! Rattle like hell without them, the driveshaft moves back and forth and bangs on the flanges.

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Looks like they didn't use the rubber bumpers on the HDX models. The driveshaft on the XT's, and XTX's are drilled for the bumper as it has a tang that fits in the shaft. Don't see why the bumper couldn't be used on a HDX. If you can move the shaft back and forth you should have enough room to put them in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts