Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Prowler started a new act! The cooling fan comes on at 150 F, and it will cycle for the first 5-10 minutes of running. The upper hose heats up as normal, the bottom hose also heats up, but then (after 5-10 minutes) it begins to cool. I monitor the outside of the head for surface temp and it never exceeds 160. After the bottom hose cools I open the air bleed and nothing comes out! There is no trace of oil coolant contamination, no leaks in the system that I can find. I'm thinking a cracked cylinder head that starts to allow combustion gases into the coolant passage as it warms up. I would think a leaking head gasket would only get worse. I have a new water pump, and the thermostat is fine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
So when you opened up the bleeder nothing came out or "air" came out or coolant came out. NAPA sells combustion block testers that you draw coolant vapor through the blue fluid and if it goes yellow then it detected hydrocarbons "combustion gas" I use them on the Ford Diesels as a pregnancy test kit. If you are yellow then you are pregnant..

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when you opened up the bleeder nothing came out or "air" came out or coolant came out. NAPA sells combustion block testers that you draw coolant vapor through the blue fluid and if it goes yellow then it detected hydrocarbons "combustion gas" I use them on the Ford Diesels as a pregnancy test kit. If you are yellow then you are pregnant..
Thanks Tim, I'll head over to NAPA this am! Gotta enjoy my morning coffee out back watching the sunrise over the mountains!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
bubbles in the coolant or oil showing there ? leak down test done [IIRC you have the test kit] ????? shouldn't be to hard to find with one cylinder :)

damn head gaskets sometimes don't show up correctly sometimes LOL

I've had them work fine until I got some good boost like Diesel Racer .. once pressured the head lifts a lil bit but only above 20 or so lbs boost . even the studs that help control along with O Ringed head at each cylinder help hold the pressure but anything near 80+ lbs boost starts lifting the head DAMN THINGS . BUTT good news I no longer take it there . too old and too $$ expensive to repair not to mention lifting that damn head off with this old busted up body LOL

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bubbles in the coolant or oil showing there ? leak down test done [IIRC you have the test kit] ????? shouldn't be to hard to find with one cylinder :)

damn head gaskets sometimes don't show up correctly sometimes LOL

I've had them work fine until I got some good boost like Diesel Racer .. once pressured the head lifts a lil bit but only above 20 or so lbs boost . even the studs that help control along with O Ringed head at each cylinder help hold the pressure but anything near 80+ lbs boost starts lifting the head DAMN THINGS . BUTT good news I no longer take it there . too old and too $$ expensive to repair not to mention lifting that damn head off with this old busted up body LOL
No oil/water mix! I keep thinking that a head gasket leak would keep getting worse, but this is staying the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts