Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone suffered exhaust pipe failure from using header wrap? I used the wrap on a hot rod, and it caused the headers to become brittle and fail. Anyone using Jet Hot?:(

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
header wrap

what kind of trouble are you having that you have to use header wrap.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems, just thinking how to cool down the seat area! I got way too much time on my hands!

·
Registered
861 Posts
ive had header wrap on mine for 3 years now and had no issues. I live in the SW so it gets super hot here. I used DEI brand wrap then wire to wrap it and hold it on. Sorry to hear about your issues but it does cut the heat down a ton. Especially on warm day rides..although its nice in the dunes at night for the little bit of heat that does come off of em..

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Header wrap

Thanks, looks like I need to call summit racing and order some wrap!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
hey split,whatdid you use to hold the header wrap on,and does it hold up to mud and water. i like the idea about blocking some heat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks, looks like I need to call summit racing and order some wrap!

You can also get everything you need here to deflect the heat.
Heat Shields - Insulation - Exhaust Header Wrap

hey split,whatdid you use to hold the header wrap on,and does it hold up to mud and water. i like the idea about blocking some heat.

I don't know what he used but they make stainless steel ties for this, you can also use the same bands used on cv boots too.

Here's a link to Jegs:
JEGS Stainless Wire and Cable Ties - JEGS

·
Registered
861 Posts
i used basically "bailing" wire and metal hose clamps. I wrapped the tape then followed it with the wire, then i used the metal clamps on the ends. You just need to make sure that the wire you use follows the wrap fairly tight or it will loosen up as you go..takes 2 guys. Here is how i did it;

Do one wrap at the beginning of the header, put a O clamp "loosely" at the beginning of the header, insert the wire under the o clamp and then tighten it down.... once you get that started continue wrapping the header with wrap , followed by the wire...wire can be spaced about 1-2 inches per wrap around the header. when you get to the junction, use another O clamp over the wire...hope that helps. Split

BTW..i also bought heat shielding and the metal zip ties...I havent needed to install the shielding since the wrap worked well enough, the metal zip ties were too much of a PITA since you need to use a zip tie gun or visegrips to pull them tight enough. ( i recommend taking the headers off, but be careful, as with any exhaust system you may break a bolt, soak them good for a day with PB)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wrapped my head pipe about 3 years ago. I used stainless hose clamps to hold it on. Seems to be in good shape still, although I did a little damage with the pressure washer.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrapped the exhaust pipe on Saturday, went for an extended ride on Sunday - Major Improvement! Well worth the effort! Used S/S Clamps, and .030 S/S wire from my wire feed. Removed the exhaust, and was able to wrap the pipe tightly. Thanks for all of the input!

·
Registered
861 Posts
good to hear you got it done. works well to insulate the heat from the cab. Like i said, i only miss it in the winter in the dunes on night rides.. :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
jeez John, that was like 2 years ago,,lol..kinda...i need new paddle tires now..lol..anyone have some for sale?

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
jeez John, that was like 2 years ago,,lol..kinda...i need new paddle tires now..lol..anyone have some for sale?

Hey Rick
I have the sand sharks off my car they only had one little trip on them I think they got towed farther then they went under power ! Lol they are the angled ones I'll get the size if your interested.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeah I know...just checking is all. LOL!! It's been awfully quiet on your end, so I didn't know if you had driven your machine that much??? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts