Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum but will be visiting now that I have a '07 650 Prowler. I've been a quad guy since 1983 owning everything from racing machines (Suzuki Quadracer LT500R - Quadzilla) to utility (Polaris Sportsman). This is my 1st side by side and I'll be using her to transport my father and I while hunting and plowing snow here in Ohio.

I am in the market for a new set of tires for the Prowler and would like to go with either 27 or 28's, I don't need radials but would buy them if the price and performance is right. Suggestions.... comments.. likes or dislikes of your current aftermarket tires. Mud, Hills and Creek Crossings at the hunting camp and Snow Pushing all winter so I need a tire that is an all round performer.

I kinda like the Swamp Lites, Bighorn's and Terra Cross so far but I would like some real tests from folks that already have them on their machines. If I go with 28's will I need a lift or will they clear without rubbing?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

TrailDog

·
Registered
421 Posts
speaking from experience i wouldnt go bigger then stock size.it gets into the gearing too much,harder to turn.then you go forcing it and start breaking stuff.it really isnt worth the trade off for a 1/2 or so of added clearance. also if you get too aggressive with the tread,save up for the axles you`l be buying.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us. I have a 2006 650 Prowler myself. I run 26" Maxxis Big Horns and really like them. They are a bit heavy but perform very well I think. I don't have any time with the other makes you asked about but so far I will buy Big Horns again when these wear out.

Team Arctic is right the bigger the tire the more power and gearing you loose. I would stick with the stock size and add a 1.5 or 2" lift if you really need the added ground clearance.

Hope this helps
Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
618 Posts
Welcome

I'd highly suggest looking at the Grim Reapers, I have had mine on for over 1100 miles and couldn't be happier.

Ran swamplites on my old atv and they wear out quickly, several in our group run the terracross and have been very happy, never heard anything bad about the bighorns other than not great in mud.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome, I have Big Horns That I love.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have the 28" swamplites and love them. There light, smooth, and actually made mine a little easier to turn. They do very well. I will say that even though the prowler pulled them well, i did have Adam at AIRDAM/// clutches do a stage one to mine to give me my low end hard pulling torque back. I have about 13.5 of ground clearance now. Was about 14 but springs sag a little more now with a cage on it. Just my two cents;)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Welcome to the site. I too have an 07 650xt. I would agree with everyone, that if you start to go up in tire size, you will need to do something to regain lost power. Clutching would probably be your best bang for the buck option.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
suggest you go with the Big Horns for a good priced HD tire also agree in stock size , and then add aftermarket springs from Summit or Jegs for better weight capacity and getting rid of the factory sag. rears and put factory rear on the front. a $100 well spent

I have Pit Bulls and love them but don't think they are worth the extra $$ over the big horns and they are just as good on sidewall strength [have a friend with BH's and we put on 2500 miles on his before I bought a prowler and decided to try out the PB's]

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm still running my stock eagle 26's. I have to agree with team arctic, not worth going up a bigger tire size.. unless you just like to look good while going slow.. in my past experience even one size up makes a drastic drop in overall machine performance. That being said, after talking to my local dealer who sells piles of tire he tells me to definitely go with the terra cross for best overall performance. He tells me this based on the feed back he has gotten from the many sets of different tires he's sold and that's def. what's going on my ride in the spring. hope this helps and welcome!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like the og big horns real well but I heard they are hard to find now since can-am and polaris are putting them on from the factory. I have a set of 589s on my quad that do very well but ride rough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow - Thanks everyone for the Information! Time to sit down and decide exactly what I am going to do!

Thanks again !!!

TrailDog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts