Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am new to the forum, I have an 08 prowler that I bought new, have had really good luck with it until recently. It has 3500 miles on mostly forest roads, I have maintained it myself. The problem I am having now is when going down hill some times I hear kind of a grinding noise from the transmission or??? I have checked and replaced the belt and it is in good shape.
Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
welcome to the forum,,,,this is the place to find answers,,,,,does it make the noise when your just coasting down a hill ?? does it stop when you apply the brakes?? a big problem is the brakes chatter a lot on the rear caliper:D

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yes I am new to the forum, I have an 08 prowler that I bought new, have had really good luck with it until recently. It has 3500 miles on mostly forest roads, I have maintained it myself. The problem I am having now is when going down hill some times I hear kind of a grinding noise from the transmission or??? I have checked and replaced the belt and it is in good shape.
Any suggestions
Give us a little more detail,welcome to the best prowler forum................:)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the site, I agree with brake chatter as a likely problem

·
Registered
733 Posts
If I had to take a quick guess at it without more detail I would say its a good possibility its your one way bearing. does it only make this noise when coasting?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
One way bearing if it happens just when coasting, and brake chatter if it is when you apply the brakes.....

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the site .. where is home ?

what type terrain do you ride in ? [non issue related just a question]

fill in your profile/signature line .. help us answer questions without more questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had to take a quick guess at it without more detail I would say its a good possibility its your one way bearing. does it only make this noise when coasting?
I am not sure that I know what the one way bearing is. Is it easy to replace?
The terrain that I mostly ride in is mountain trials, and on some paved roads where I live. I live in the White Mountains of Arizona, at approximatly 7000 ft. I can leave my driveway an be in the forest within a half mile.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Hard to answer the degree of difficulty on inspecting/replacing one way bearing. What are your abilities? Do you have access to a impact wrench that can handle up to 200lbs of torque? Have you worked on your machine? Replacing the bearing entails draining the oil, removing primary, and secondary clutches, inner, and outer clutch covers to access the wet clutch area, one way bearing is on the wet clutch shaft. Do you have a service manual for your machine!

·
Registered
250 Posts
You must be in pinetop/showlow to be able to ride within a half mile. We have a cabin near blue ridge lake. I'm in Phoenix if your ever in the area I can take as look at it, I also have the one way bearing from my Prowler if you needed or wanted to put one back In if that is your problem. Let me know if I can be of any help. You can also call me with questions. Just pm me for my phone number.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
You must be in pinetop/showlow to be able to ride within a half mile. We have a cabin near blue ridge lake. I'm in Phoenix if your ever in the area I can take as look at it, I also have the one way bearing from my Prowler if you needed or wanted to put one back In if that is your problem. Let me know if I can be of any help. You can also call me with questions. Just pm me for my phone number.
Hey DJ let us know how your liking your new can-am.let us know in the other utv discussion.................:):)glad to hear from you again............

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I am not sure that I know what the one way bearing is. Is it easy to replace?
The terrain that I mostly ride in is mountain trials, and on some paved roads where I live. I live in the White Mountains of Arizona, at approximatly 7000 ft. I can leave my driveway an be in the forest within a half mile.
White Mountains of Arizona. Man, I'm jealous. I was born and raised in AZ and lived most of my life there. We used to travel up to the White Mountains often (near Hawley Lake and Big Lake areas). Beautiful country up there.....

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
White Mountains of Arizona. Man, I'm jealous. I was born and raised in AZ and lived most of my life there. We used to travel up to the White Mountains often (near Hawley Lake and Big Lake areas). Beautiful country up there.....
Sounds like that would be great riding..................

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sounds like that would be great riding..................
It would be pine tree forest riding. That is my favorite kind of riding. Love riding the backwoods two track roads looking for wildlife. Dune riding comes a close second, but only on a sport machine......

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
It would be pine tree forest riding. That is my favorite kind of riding. Love riding the backwoods two track roads looking for wildlife. Dune riding comes a close second, but only on a sport machine......
That's my kind of riding also,never done any dune riding.................

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Forest 2 tracks are great, that accounts for most of our riding, we do visit the sand dunes a couple of times a year, usually mid week when the big dogs are home sleeping!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's my kind of riding also,never done any dune riding.................
I have never done any dune riding either, but i really enjoy the forest. I use mine for hunting also. I thought that I would need the winch to get out of tough places, but only once did I need it when I got high centered. But I have to use it all the time when I have the snow plow on it. So far the best thing I have put on it, were the Maxis tires.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have never done any dune riding either, but i really enjoy the forest. I use mine for hunting also. I thought that I would need the winch to get out of tough places, but only once did I need it when I got high centered. But I have to use it all the time when I have the snow plow on it. So far the best thing I have put on it, were the Maxis tires.
what kind of maxis tires did you put on it.:)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Everybody says the same thing about Maxis Tires!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts