Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 09 1000 with 740 km. I drove 18 hours to get it test drove it in the dark on ice for about 30 ft. Got home and something is slipping. Not sure if belt or what yet. Very nice machine tho.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Welcome to the site. Several members have the same machine, and I'm sure they will help. I think Rob was referring to the Spike Load Damper on the 1000's. It is used on the rear drive shaft only. I think a lot of people have eliminated them and a kit is/was available

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Just bought a 09 1000 with 740 km. I drove 18 hours to get it test drove it in the dark on ice for about 30 ft. Got home and something is slipping. Not sure if belt or what yet. Very nice machine tho.
Sounds like the belt or like Rob said the spike load dampener.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
from description no help here ... burning rubber smell ??

welcome to the site also , great group O fellers here.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Welcome! I'm pretty new to the forum, too. But, these guys will help you. They have helped me spend hundreds of dollars :D. Thanks Guys!
Is your slipping condition kind of like a slip and grab? Continuous slip that won't grab? Like Gary asked, can you smell anything when it happens. Just a little more information and these guys will nail it down, for you. Parking brake isn't on just a click or two, is it? The wife drove ours with it on and almost burnt it up. She didn't notice the brake light in the dash was on. I need to add a buzzer to it yet.
Again... Welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only drove it about 30 feet and he loaded it up but slipping in both hi n lo range. Turns out clutches are covered in oil so I imagine crank seal.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Not to bad of a job, drain oil, remove outer, and inner cases, then press the clutch housing out of the inner case. Everything loads from the inside. Also check the spacer the seal rides on, mine was grooved where the seal rode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to bad of a job, drain oil, remove outer, and inner cases, then press the clutch housing out of the inner case. Everything loads from the inside. Also check the spacer the seal rides on, mine was grooved where the seal rode.
Yes, the dealership is doing it for me, and there is an updated seal and washer going in.I see you have quite a machine, and wondering why you chopped the roof 2 inches ? I was thinking the same thing to mine so I could fit it in my enclosed trailer.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Just another thing to do! I thought the stock roof profile was wrong, so I decided to lower it. I took 2" off the back, and 1 1/2" off the front. Muddog chopped his 4" all around. These things do present a challenge getting into an enclosed trailer. I love my Prowler, and enjoy working on it as much as driving it!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yes, the dealership is doing it for me, and there is an updated seal and washer going in.I see you have quite a machine, and wondering why you chopped the roof 2 inches ? I was thinking the same thing to mine so I could fit it in my enclosed trailer.
HANDSOME,Let us know how it performs when you get it back......:)

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
The 1000 machines are great! I have a 700, and have a blast with it, if I had a 1000 I'd more than likely hurt myself! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I changed all that in my wildcat last week. put an NTN bearing in got at a bearing house 20.00. The seal is special they did not have it so got it from Cat. It was 14.00 and the spacer was 37.00. all parts plus 13% tax. also had to put a new belt in at 183.00 including tax. The bearing from Cat was 63.00. Should be good to go. Now I'm going to save up and buy wet clutch delete kit.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
I thought about a Wet Clutch delete, but I'm afraid it would not be worth while in a Prowler, now a Wildcat is a different story!

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
I've seen the kits, and the data, but being the Prowlers are somewhat chunky, I think a wet clutch delete would hurt belt life, Wonder if you could retro-fit the new clutch system to older machines, and what would be the cost difference?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts