Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2011 HDX in January this year. This was my first UTV. Have owned quads, off-road buggies, sleds, etc. Loving this thing so far - except just tore a CV boot and not having fun getting the axle out. Think I figured it out, though.

So, is this THE forum for Prowler talk? Most of the others don't seem to have much traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
you got the right place!!!! I think all the forums are pretty quiet this time of year welcome:D:D

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
You are in the right place! Welcome to the best site goin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Members are very helpful, and friendly.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Purchased a 2011 HDX in January this year. This was my first UTV. Have owned quads, off-road buggies, sleds, etc. Loving this thing so far - except just tore a CV boot and not having fun getting the axle out. Think I figured it out, though.

So, is this THE forum for Prowler talk? Most of the others don't seem to have much traffic.
Welcome to the best prowler site,great members with a lot of knowledge.it does get a little quite on here through the summer hope you stayed involved.:)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
There was a post about axle removal on here the other day. From what was described, you push in on the axle to release the retainer, and quickly pull out the axle. Best bet is to get a service manual, many are available on-line. With all of the members on this forum, there is not much that we have not encountered! Good Info, and humor is our strong suit!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hello Ron .. what the heck took ya so long we almost ran out of fire wood , new guy's job is to drag in a log and cut'er up and get the coffee rolling THATS YOU Buddy.. BTW Welcome to the house.

lot of BS rolls here but good info when needed also.

stop in and sit a spall once in a while and enjoy the harassing

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately, I learned a day late that you have to push the axle in hard, then, at the same time, pull on the inner CV joint, then it all comes off. I had downloaded the service manual, but evidently did not quite fully understand it. I tried pushing in then yanking out and all that did was pull the axle out of the inner CV joint. Fast forward to today, and this site, and I figured out the proper way. Unfortunately, I put a puller on it last night and pretty much ruined the inner CV joint. Hello Ebay, goodbye hard-earned dollars.

I was probably going to have to replace the outer joint anyway. That's the boot that ripped, and after I cleaned it up, you could see lots of "blueing" near the bearings. I packed it with grease and replaced the boot, and had that gravelly feel to it when I moved the joint around. Just didn't feel right.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Working on these things give you a quick education! When I first got mine, I put a clutch kit in it, and missed tightening one of the bolts on the inner clutch cover. After a test run, I noticed aluminum filings in the clutch air out duct work. Cost me a new secondary clutch, and fixed plates. Lesson learned! Ebay is where I find 90% of the stuff my wife say's I don't need!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site, when it comes to Prowlers this is the most active one.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately, I learned a day late that you have to push the axle in hard, then, at the same time, pull on the inner CV joint, then it all comes off. I had downloaded the service manual, but evidently did not quite fully understand it. I tried pushing in then yanking out and all that did was pull the axle out of the inner CV joint. Fast forward to today, and this site, and I figured out the proper way. Unfortunately, I put a puller on it last night and pretty much ruined the inner CV joint. Hello Ebay, goodbye hard-earned dollars.

I was probably going to have to replace the outer joint anyway. That's the boot that ripped, and after I cleaned it up, you could see lots of "blueing" near the bearings. I packed it with grease and replaced the boot, and had that gravelly feel to it when I moved the joint around. Just didn't feel right.
You might be better off re-placing the complete axle........:)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I found complete HD axles on eBay for around 110 dollars, C.v. joint kit was 90 + dollars

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yep, complete axle on the way. If I find a replacement inner joint, I'd probably buy it and piece together an axle to have for a backup. Anyway, the waiting game right now. Should go back together in about 20 minutes.

Next big purchase is going to be tires. Only has about 600 miles on the original Dunlops, but it was mostly on gravel, and they don't have much tread. I drive on gravel a lot so I'm looking for something that will hold up to the same, and handle a little bit of mud/snow. Want to go just one size higher since I don't want to have to do any clutch work.

Here's some pics. It's got that coolflo windshield, which I like. Soft top, Cd player, amp, speaker bar, Warn winch. The prior owner also put in an auxiliary battery. I added the brush guard, the AC rear view mirror, and an AC storage bag that fits on the rear of the cage. The prior owner made a cool two-seater to fit in the bed, complete with seat belts and drink holders. I took it out, because I don't have a need for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hey Ron … quad cities ??

I'm not a world traveler yet so don't know where that is. ???????

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey Ron … quad cities ??

I'm not a world traveler yet so don't know where that is. ???????
It's a community in Illinois and Iowa along the Mississippi river. The river flows west in the area, which is unusual. Wikipedia has some basic info about what the area has to offer. Just look up Quad Cities there. I'd post the link, but I'm not allowed to until I've made 15 posts. Great pizza here.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Great looking HDX! I have the XTX 700, and really like it! I've been buying used engine, and drivetrain parts on ebay, We started traveling last year, and I carry enough spare parts that a breakdown can be addressed! Learned the hardway at H&M Trails! Fixed Plate nut came lose, and damaged the fixed plate. I think the threads on the nut were stretched beyond limits and it came loose. I now carry fixed plates, and additional nuts on the road. I'm 100% committed to the Prowler, and Wildcat Lines!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yep, complete axle on the way. If I find a replacement inner joint, I'd probably buy it and piece together an axle to have for a backup. Anyway, the waiting game right now. Should go back together in about 20 minutes.

Next big purchase is going to be tires. Only has about 600 miles on the original Dunlops, but it was mostly on gravel, and they don't have much tread. I drive on gravel a lot so I'm looking for something that will hold up to the same, and handle a little bit of mud/snow. Want to go just one size higher since I don't want to have to do any clutch work.

Here's some pics. It's got that coolflo windshield, which I like. Soft top, Cd player, amp, speaker bar, Warn winch. The prior owner also put in an auxiliary battery. I added the brush guard, the AC rear view mirror, and an AC storage bag that fits on the rear of the cage. The prior owner made a cool two-seater to fit in the bed, complete with seat belts and drink holders. I took it out, because I don't have a need for it.
Nice looking HDX I have the same coolflo windshield you do,I really like mine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys.

Here's some of my other toys. I first got into off-roading when I bought a chinese two-seater buggy, 150cc. Then, bought a Suzuki Eiger. Then upgraded to a 250cc buggy. Then traded the Eiger for the newer one pictured below. Then sold the 250 buggy (huge mistake) and bought the buggy below which was a 250, but then got a Polaris 400 two stroke (built to the gills) implant. That one is currently in the shop getting a make over. The Eiger is no bad boy, but it's a nice size for me, and has been reliable. Push snow with this one.

The buggies are a blast, and I really learned how to wrench on them. These chinese things are cheap, but they need to be kept up. Easy to work on, though, and I learned so much about the CVT trans from working on them.

Love all my toys for different reasons, but the Prowler has certainly got the most of my attention since I bought it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks guys.

Here's some of my other toys. I first got into off-roading when I bought a chinese two-seater buggy, 150cc. Then, bought a Suzuki Eiger. Then upgraded to a 250cc buggy. Then traded the Eiger for the newer one pictured below. Then sold the 250 buggy (huge mistake) and bought the buggy below which was a 250, but then got a Polaris 400 two stroke (built to the gills) implant. That one is currently in the shop getting a make over. The Eiger is no bad boy, but it's a nice size for me, and has been reliable. Push snow with this one.

The buggies are a blast, and I really learned how to wrench on them. These chinese things are cheap, but they need to be kept up. Easy to work on, though, and I learned so much about the CVT trans from working on them.

Love all my toys for different reasons, but the Prowler has certainly got the most of my attention since I bought it.
The Eiger is a nice machine,cant have to many toys................:):)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Cool Toy Collection! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts