Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Hello

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  de3 
#1 ·
A friendly hello from the westcoast of Canada. Just aquired a 2010 700XTX so just getting used to such a large Terrain vehicle we affectionately call the Dump Truck. No doubt fantastic application for property utility and a lot of fun going for a leisure ride packing half the garage. Looking forward to hunting season. Sure was nice all shiny and clean now its spring mud season so its pretty much covered and will stay that way for a month.

Been hearing a funny rattling noise down near the rear end, almost a chain rattle of shorts but short lived when letting off gas near stop. Checked gear oil and all seem ok. Read reports of break rattle but not sure if that would be the sound. Mostly happens at very low speed so wonder if the clutch disengaging would make a strange tin rattle noise???

#2 ·
Welcome, is it when applying the brakes?

#3 ·
welcome home :)

where about in west coast BC .. have many friends up that way . couple friends that live the farthest north is in Horsefly area and many friends in BC coastal Border area, also Alberta and Regina Sas.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum. Does indeed sound like rear brake noise/chatter. Check pad thickness, and anti-rattle spring

#9 ·
Welcome to the site! you'll find all the help you need here! as far as the noise, I'd agree with what the guys are saying. It's not anything that will damage anything just annoying more than anything. Check that first and if it isn't it there's a wealth of knowledge here to help you through your issue.
Cheers

#10 ·
Thanks I agree on the brake issue, seems to happen after driving a while, presume slight heating causes the strange rattle. Notice a spring kit is available from Cat, does it work?
Turf Saver? I looked up in service manual and can not find any such thing, does a 2010 700XTX have it?
Changed oil in rear end and notice little metal flecks not much but oil was dark in rear end after 50 miles. Is there special additives needed in rear end, using EP 80-90 grear oil GL5?

#11 ·
Well this is a sore subject
You are lucky you have an 09 thou the 09s have a machined rotor not stamped in you have a dial indicator check the run out of the rotor if its is more than 2 thounsanths out replace it and install ebc pads also and insatall the spring kit I did this over 500 miles ago and my brake chatter is fixed . Hope this helps good luck.

#12 ·
Recommend that you use AC 80/90 Friction Modified Gear Lube. AC Part # 1436-159. This prolongs the Turf Saver rear end life. Failure to use the friction modified will result in early failure of the clutch packs. This rear end doe's not have a service pack available, and it is not rebuildable. The replacement turf saver gear is very costly.

#14 ·
2008-2010 700 XTX's had the turf saver rear end.

#15 ·
I have to use friction additive in my Dodge Diesl, is that the same stuff, comes in a tube? How does the turf saver work? When I get in mud both wheels spin and when turning on dry ground both wheels spin under power. Is the turf saver that piece in front of the differential case? Or is there a limited slip system build in differential?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.