Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! new here and looking for some help from experienced prowler owners!
I recently picked up a 2011 HDX 700efi, (well)used, 2650(hard?) miles. It seems to run fine, but a few weeks ago I drive 5 miles from home, then was coming back and it "locked" up. I was going at a good clip ~50mph and it seemed like the engine locked up and the wheels slid. I eventually got into nuetral after a few puzzled seconds which got the wheels rolling. It stunk like burned belt(thought I broke it) then started very hard. It drove ok and I got it home taking it easy. Now it seems to start fine and still runs pretty good, put 4 miles on it today, no trouble.
Called a dealer who sells quite a few prowlers and they thought it could be the one way clutch bearing? Said there was some problems and even some replacement part failures too. He ran my VIN and said nothing shows in the past. Does this sound like the problem???
Also, today I changed oil on it(wow is that fun) it seemed like it was very low on oil. Can this bearing failure let oil into the clutch/belt area?? The dealer mentioned something about the belt getting oily and needing replacement, never gave it much thought on the phone. Anyway, this seems like the place to be for prowler info, thanks for your help!
Dan

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your HDX, but we can help (sometimes we get lucky!). After it locked up, were you able to re-start the motor? Oil capacity on the 700 engine is 2-2.3 quarts. Oil can get into the belt area, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the cover, remove it and see if there is any sign of oil. The one way bearing could be the problem. When I remove my belt/clutch covers I remove the seat's (XTX model), engine cover, and seat backs. The HDX may require removing the gas tank also. Outer belt/clutch cover needs to be removed exposing the belt. at 2600 miles, and the use is unknown, I'd replace the belt. The primary and secondary clutches need to be removed (you will need an impact to remove the nuts), now you can remove the inner cover, which will expose the one way bearing. it slips on the clutch disks, GREEN DOT out! There is a section with pictures in the "Frequently asked Tech Questions on the site. Service manuals are available free online.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hello! new here and looking for some help from experienced prowler owners!
I recently picked up a 2011 HDX 700efi, (well)used, 2650(hard?) miles. It seems to run fine, but a few weeks ago I drive 5 miles from home, then was coming back and it "locked" up. I was going at a good clip ~50mph and it seemed like the engine locked up and the wheels slid. I eventually got into nuetral after a few puzzled seconds which got the wheels rolling. It stunk like burned belt(thought I broke it) then started very hard. It drove ok and I got it home taking it easy. Now it seems to start fine and still runs pretty good, put 4 miles on it today, no trouble.
Called a dealer who sells quite a few prowlers and they thought it could be the one way clutch bearing? Said there was some problems and even some replacement part failures too. He ran my VIN and said nothing shows in the past. Does this sound like the problem???
Also, today I changed oil on it(wow is that fun) it seemed like it was very low on oil. Can this bearing failure let oil into the clutch/belt area?? The dealer mentioned something about the belt getting oily and needing replacement, never gave it much thought on the phone. Anyway, this seems like the place to be for prowler info, thanks for your help!
Dan
I would say the problem is in your clutch,possibly the one way bearing,or a leaking seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, sounds like the dealer was probably right. I will try to drain the belt case area, there should be quite a bit of oil in it. When I changed the oil the chart in the kit said 2 qts, I doubt I drained one quart even! I read some older threads about the oil seals leaking into the belt drive-seems to be a common issue with prowlers. I will check out the parts diagrams. thanks!

Does anyone have an idea what a dealer would get to fix this? I might end up taking it in as I am running out of winter to work on winter projects. I may send this thing to the field with hired neighbor kids to pick rock so it has to be reliable. My dad has an older 650xt? in good shape but has never given him any trouble, besides starting hard after being parked a long time.

One more thing, does anyone know of a source for used prowler parts? The plastic sides on my box are in rough shape and they are pretty proud of them at AC. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Does your Dad's have to crank over several times before it starts? I had the same problem until I plugged the carb vent hose that comes out behind the drivers seat, starts right up now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes with dad's after it sits for long periods he says he has to crank it for a long time, he wishes it had a primer. I will tell him about the carb vent, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Yes with dad's after it sits for long periods he says he has to crank it for a long time, he wishes it had a primer. I will tell him about the carb vent, thanks!
Some have installed primers, I tried a fuel line check valve first and it didn't help any. I read where a mechanic suggested plugging the carb vent line, I stuck a bolt in it and it has been starting easier ever since.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
SO you plugged the vent hose permanently? OR just for starting?
Permanently with no performance issues, still runs great.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Seems to be a very popular fix for carb. equipped prowlers!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the replies, sounds like the dealer was probably right. I will try to drain the belt case area, there should be quite a bit of oil in it. When I changed the oil the chart in the kit said 2 qts, I doubt I drained one quart even! I read some older threads about the oil seals leaking into the belt drive-seems to be a common issue with prowlers. I will check out the parts diagrams. thanks!

Does anyone have an idea what a dealer would get to fix this? I might end up taking it in as I am running out of winter to work on winter projects. I may send this thing to the field with hired neighbor kids to pick rock so it has to be reliable. My dad has an older 650xt? in good shape but has never given him any trouble, besides starting hard after being parked a long time.

One more thing, does anyone know of a source for used prowler parts? The plastic sides on my box are in rough shape and they are pretty proud of them at AC. Thanks again!
I also have the first generation prowler so far no issues.......knock on wood.
:)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
For used parts, look on ebay powersports, or PowerSportsNation.com Agree that AC is not shy on their pricing for plastic body parts!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Some have installed primers, I tried a fuel line check valve first and it didn't help any. I read where a mechanic suggested plugging the carb vent line, I stuck a bolt in it and it has been starting easier ever since.
I did the same thing that Mike is talking about here. I threaded a bolt into the end of the rubber vent hose. The difference in starting now is night and day. Before, I could go out after only a week and it would be a PIA to start. Now I can let it sit for a month, and it will start right up for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i pulled what I think is a drain plug on the belt case and no oil ran out. Would the belt burn it off in there as fast as it leaks in? It definitely looks like the fuel tank needs to come off to get at the clutches. Will be checking with a dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Hey everyone thanks for the input so far. I dropped it off at a dealer today, and within hours got a call, well the bearing is noisy, BUT the air filter cover was missing a clip. So the engine has been sucking in dirt for an unknown length of time. You mechanics prob know that this wrecks the crank bearings requiring a rebuild. Not the kind of monday I like. The dealer has a rebuilt drivetrain on hand and can swap it in for the same price(3 times what replacing the bearing would have cost yay) Another one of my good deals turns into an expensive fix. It ran pretty well, but figure since it is at the dealer now it is better than running it until it grenades in the middle of a field somewhere when I need it. On the plus side I will have a fresh drivetrain for basically the retail price of my machine.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
That sucks, but at least you will have a great machine when it is all said and done! Air Filters on these things are important, first time I pulled mine it was caked with mud! Cleaned it and re-installed it, then started to check it at least once a month.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
DanMN if you ride in dust areas , maybe you should look at alternative mounting locations as the stock set up isn't the best place for it as it right where all the dust is concentrated … some on here have a much better set up with snorkels , gets the intake up in the higher cleaner areas .

I believe I'll be doing just that this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts