Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had broken rear axle mounts on my '11 hdx700 and had the welding shop fix them up better than new. Drove 20 feet out the door and it appears that the rear gear case( i want to call rear diff) is shot, loud clunking noises, appears a gear or 3 has striped some teeth. I want to take it out of the machine to work on it, since I already have the box off and need to save a little $ on labor. I know the 2 bolts that hold it in and the 4 to remove the driveshaft. What is the best way to take out the axles? Do you remove the hub completely or is there a way to just swing them out of the way? Does the gear case have to go out the bottom? IT appears to be the only way out. Sorry for the possibly dumb questions I am really hoping to get this thing going in 5 days again. THANKS!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
use your search button and go get the manual several threads have links , it's a free down load .. I don't have a bookmark link for you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so I have everything loose except the axle shafts. According to the manual and on here, the shafts with the white end which I have, you just put pressure inwards and they should pull out? I have done this but they are tight. Is there a specific place to pull on? how about pry on? The axles seem really loose inside the rubber boot, is there a way to tell that you are pushing in on the correct place? thanks again.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Pushing in releases the axle retainer, and a quick. Snap/Pull should get it out. Inside the rubber boot is the inner c v joint, there will be quite a bit of movement with the joint, all normal. Drain the differential, and check for metal, I have a small magnet that fits inside the drain plug.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Shop guy told me to just grab the axle shaft and push it in, and then yank back on it really hard. And not to worry about the joint or anything as it won't hurt it. I did it like this, and it popped right out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you guys pull out the joint all the way to the gear case? there is no way that would work, I couldn't even get it to push in far enough. I pulled the shaft out of the cv boot on the first one, use a punch to push in the release in the grease then pry it out with a screwdriver. I ended up doing the same thing on the other side as there was no way i would get that pushed in as a complete assembly. I will have to replace the rubber boot clamps

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW the 10t pinion gear was ground off completely, filings-yes more glitter than a gentlemen s establishment, and no oil either, Not really sure where it went as there were no real wet spots, but it could have been dry when i got it as well-my fault on that one.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Ouch! Hopefully the case is good, power sports nation, or eBay have complete differentials for around 350 dollars. I put one together with new gears, bearings, and seals for around 300 dollars.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
for the $$$ difference buy the e-bay one then build the old one and have a spare or one to sell to recoup the $$

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW 350? both ebay and PSN have them(psn on ebay) for 750, not sure how recent you bought yours but 750 for an unknown gear case is not a good deal to me. Dealer can get brand new complete assembly for much less. Maybe he was giving me a deal since I gave them 3k 2 months ago for the engine. He might have given me a good deal on the individual parts too, but using their online prices it would have been $400 easy in parts alone. We'll see what the bill ends up at.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
WOW 350? both ebay and PSN have them(psn on ebay) for 750, not sure how recent you bought yours but 750 for an unknown gear case is not a good deal to me. Dealer can get brand new complete assembly for much less. Maybe he was giving me a deal since I gave them 3k 2 months ago for the engine. He might have given me a good deal on the individual parts too, but using their online prices it would have been $400 easy in parts alone. We'll see what the bill ends up at.
750 dollars thats un-real,I would go with the new from the dealer.:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Having just done this on my '11 HDX, here is what you do. Push in on the axle hard. You will feel some pressure when it bottoms out. This is pushing some bearings out of the way that takes pressure off a c-clip that keeps the inner CV joint from coming out of the rear differential. Then, WHILE STILL PUSHING IN ON THE AXLE, pull out on the inner CV joint. That will release it. Do not just push and yank with the axle. You will pull the axle out of the inner CV joint.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Having just done this on my '11 HDX, here is what you do. Push in on the axle hard. You will feel some pressure when it bottoms out. This is pushing some bearings out of the way that takes pressure off a c-clip that keeps the inner CV joint from coming out of the rear differential. Then, WHILE STILL PUSHING IN ON THE AXLE, pull out on the inner CV joint. That will release it. Do not just push and yank with the axle. You will pull the axle out of the inner CV joint.
Great info Sockman.......................:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts