Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! First of all glad to be part of this form.
I've recently bought a 2008 prowler 650 XT, bought it with a bad engine (bevel gears went to pieces and destroyed the case) but it was to come with a supposedly good engine, which wasn't the case, I installed the so-called a good engine run it for a short time and realized it didn't sound quite right, pulled the oil drain plug found metal filings on the magnetic drain plug.
At this point I realized I had to fix the engine,split the case found out that the rod bearing in the connecting rod was bad.
I sent the crank a way to get rebuilt with new rod and rod bearing,then I started to compare the cylinder and cylinder head from the old engine to the supposedly good engine and noticed a major problem it was a much much smaller bore. So then I assume that the engine I am now dealing with is a 550 H1 and not at 650 H1.
Basically what I need to know is can I use my 650 cylinder and cylinder head on the 550 bottom end or is the stroke wrong? if so can I use the 650 crankshaft in the 550 case and then use my 650 cylinder and cylinder head?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope someone here can help you. If you don't have a repair manual yet you can download a free pdf copy for each engine type using the link below. Maybe some of the specs will be in them and you might try comparing part numbers to see if they're shared.
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Iv figured out the strokes are different so the question is now can the 650 crank be installed in the 550 case?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
From everything I've seen, the stroke is Different on the 550, 650, and 700. the cylinder makes up the difference in CC's, the base of the cylinder is where the problem is found. Some early cases would not allow a larger cylinder to be used. Not sure, but I suspect a case could be machined to take a larger cylinder. Head bolts, timing chain, cam, and head all swap between models. Switching cranks would be great if you can find a piston that has the right pin height. So a 650 piston would not work on a 550, or 700 crank. When I built my 750 big bore, I looked at using a 550 Crankshaft, and rod to gain more CC's, nobody makes a piston that would fit that combination, and a one off would be to much money.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Forgot to Welcome you to the site! So Welcome! Best Prowler AC site by far!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So basically all I'm looking to do is make a 650 out of a 550 case use the crank, rod cylinder, cylinder head and piston out of the 650 and put it in the 550 case, so by the sounds of it as long as the cylinder will fit on the top of the case it should work

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Yes you would I think that Pork Chop looking thing is pretty much the same for all engines! Just like a BBF!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
good luck with this project frankenstein

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Gregolds, where are you located?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
We were up there last summer, loved the area! Went to Haven! LOL